cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spending Money

N/A

Spending Money

Christmas is coming soon and was wondering about spending.
There are some things that people like to spend money on and conversely things that they prefer not to spend on.
I may be rather odd but I actually don't mind spending on utilities such as gas/electric and water because I really appreciate being warm and comfortable.
Coming home from the Plusnet promotion today I was listening to Radio Sheffield and there was a glowing report on a concert in Manchester which starred Andreas Bocelli.  Now I am quite partial to this tenor but would definitely begrudge the £65 seat prices (as reported on the programme).  I also like the Dancing on Ice shows but have stopped going because they are too expensive. 
Also don't much care for spending on clothes, particularly ones that are for one-off occasions so would not get the wear out of them.
Am happy to spend on my broadband 'cos I get a lot of use out of it.
Overall, a very pragmatic spending pattern! 
Wondered what others like or don't like to spend money on.
18 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Spending Money

Well I don't like spending money at all, Because I struggle with the money I have, I thought this Christmas was going to be a poor one, Which I may add I just detest the thought of, So I have bought everyone just one gift each, But a gift I know they will use, Rather than heaps of gift's that they wont use, Wanted to go and see meatloaf down In Glasgow but he has upped the ticket price and Its to close to Christmas, Hate It when that happens.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Tend to think along the same lines as you.
One problem I do have is eating out with others (including family members). No problem if we are talking about a chinese resturant or other place that has a fixed menu for £5 or £6 but it really goes against the grain to be spending a lot in some fancy resturant where it seems to me the more you spend the less food you get !
Problem is do you become asocial and refuse to go ? Or go and choose the cheapest item on the menu (who wants a salad in winter?)
I Once went to the Trafford Centre in manchester and there was not a single shop that had anything I was interested in, let alone purchased.
N/A

Agree 100% about eating out - cannot understand folk who cheerfully go out and spend £100 or so on a night out including a meal.
We occasionally go to Morrisons for dinner and that is quite enough for me.
Community Veteran

Funny you mention Morrisons.......Try the fish & Chips.......they are done from fresh ie not frozen
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Talking of food I took my girlfriend on a treat to an all you can eat, Thai style for a fiver each, Must say It was delicious and very clean and well managed, The food was superb!! She hadn't been to one of those before.
jmd
Grafter

I used to love going to the Trafford Centre when I lived 5 minutes away in Urmston, but now dislike going to Meadowhall, Sheffield!  I went yesterday with some friends to Meadowhall and found it so crowded and hot that I just did not want to go and spend any money there so it was a good way of saving money! Smiley
When I was working used to take a day off to go to cinema at Trafford Centre as in morning it was £3 and then we would go to Pizza Hut for their lunches when you could pay £5 and eat as much pizza/pasta as you wanted! Smiley
I too am happy to spend of utilities and television as I do not go out much socially so prefer to have my home comforts.  I do not spend so much on clothes as I used to when I was working as now I can wear what I want rather than stick to dress code.  Now too because of being on pensions I consider things before I buy whereas as used to buy on impulse.
My recent spending has been on a new toaster [other burnt out] and a new George Forman grill [the other I threw out while back but realised missed it].  At present I am still considering getting a pocket camcorder but have still not decided whether to or not - this shows how much my spending pattern has changed as a few years ago I would have just gone out and got one!  Oh, and new television but don't pay for that until next year!! Smiley
Community Veteran

See I'm not a huge fan of utility bills. I detest the things to be honest but they have to get paid....
What I used to once like spending money on was boys toys. Gadgets, gizmos, things that are supposed to be fun and make you smile. Unfortunately that was drummed out of me by several including my closest family who insisted it was wrong to enjoy anything other than what they liked. I was frequently made to feel guilty about buying anything I liked and thus the downhill journey has continued ever since.
I now buy almost nothing. Most of what I have bought this year has been car tools and thats not exactly something I do for fun - more out of desperation. Computer parts are never bought (with the exception of a monitor which was desperately needed) as I get them off my local freegle.
Going out doesn't happen for me so I don't worry about clothes.. except for a wedding I went to recently.
I guess really I've never had much money to enjoy spending.. so don't really know how to do it without being made to feel guilty and thus can't really enjoy spending in the first place. It's amazing how many things I could think of that I'd like but do you think I could part with the money?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

I think most of us feel the same about utility bills but I've no intention of our freezing this winter.
We rarely eat out and going to Morrisons, in Huddersfield, when visiting our daughter is about the only time except for a fish restaurant in Holland during summer - one of best fish & chips we've ever had. Overall we eat well by shopping wisely.
Recently bought a new TV and main freezer is nearing end of it's life. Will need to spend some money on the house next year - the seals on a couple of windows have gone and they are misting.
Overall I do like to see our spending below what comes in each month so there's money to spare when a major item is needed -  We're at the time of life when one wants to pay cash for everything.

Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Recently bought a new TV

Unfortunately ours went on the blink (along with everything else) and the replacement has too. I given up buying anything these days as it only leads to even more misery.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
magnetism2772
Grafter

i buy quality  food to cook at home and i spend a tiny fortune on it
i like to buy oven chips now and then as they go well with fish which
i eat regularly 
i like buying clothes, i like Harris tweed,
i dont like any kind of bills at all
i already feel the only person they know is me
and the postman must think so too.
i buy odds and ends now , lots of second hand things as well
i'm due for a new computer only i cant afford it
with everything else i pay for
Christmas, well i  dont know what to think about it
but i'll make sure i've got some eats over that week
and a box of roses chocolates
i've not bought big items this year
the house could do with some money spending on it
just when i want to do something a hefty bill comes
Community Veteran

Went out yesterday and bought a new TV  Smiley.  Spent all day setting it up and getting it working.  Appears you only get a very minimal instruction book these days with the detailed instructions available on screen Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The last time I bought a tv. and set it up, there was only the on / off switch to find.... and you had to turn the knob on the front to find the station that was nearest to you  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Did it come with a dog and a horn Grin Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

No.... we often told the neighbours we now had a bush in the corner our front room.  Roll eyes