cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeding "vigilantes"

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Speeding "vigilantes"

There's a group of private citizens in Kenley Surrey, who are operating laser speed guns, apparently with the approval of the Police, and reporting their findings to the Police, who it seems will send a strongly worded letter to offenders, if a certain number of letters are sent to the registered keeper of a vehicle a prosecution may follow.
Would you: a) be one of the vigilantes? or b) be at all worried if you were "caught" by them?
Might well be an interesting topic for debate...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
38 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Speeding "vigilantes"

Is there an A&E unit in Kenley? If so it will be getting some brisk trade in surgically removing the laser guns from the vigilantes derrières
Fixes: 47

Presumably these people are officially authorised and monitored by the police and their equipment appropriately calibrated to maximise revenue. Roll eyes
Edited to add a cynical ending Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 105

Sure they are Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Lurker
Grafter

I prefer to use fake number plates*.
Its much easier than obeying speed limits.
*may not be true.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

also seen them last month in the village of Silver End in Essex (was the home of Crittal Windows)

Quote from: James_G
I prefer to use fake number plates*.

Is that why JB had revolving plates on his Aston Martin?
Edit: That's James Bond not James Bailey.......sorry James Embarrassed
Community Veteran

Officially, these groups are trained by the police in the proper operation of the last generation of hand-held speed cameras.
The reason that they cannot prosecute you for the 'offence' is that they are not trained up to the level required to submit the details as 'evidence'.  The last generation of the camera also have been rebuked in court (there are pictures floating around 'teh intarwebz' of someone using a hand-held camera to clock a fixed gatso camera travelling at 14MPH).
So, they use scare tactics to try to encourage road users to slow down.
I am the proud recipient of one of these threatening letters, which I dutifully framed, and now use as a replacement for my dart board, which was admittedly getting a little worn.
In other words, point and /rofl at these people as you drive past, and rev the engine in a spectacular exhibition of 'we don't care' Smiley
B.
Lurker
Grafter

I wonder why the DVLA think that these people have reasonable grounds for wanting your address, but the courts don't agree that they are doing anything of sufficient merit to warrant a prosecution.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Not sure if its related, but carries on from "Strat's" mobile phone thread.
Driving this morning noticed school kids using mobile phone cameras to take photographs of drivers who are using mobile phones.
Only happened to noticed as the person driving in front of me was 'phoning' whilst driving.
Passed a bus stop when 6-8 kids jumped up and pointed their mobile phones (as if taking a photograph) at the car and driver.
Don't know if it’s a local kids game or sanctioned by some authority.

Maybe a school project or course work Smiley
Community Veteran

maybe they were pupils from the local Vigilante School for Boys & Girls
Community Veteran

In Essex the use of civilians to operate speed guns is very common.  They  are trained by the Police and sometimes an officer is in attendance.  I know a few people who volunteer to use the guns. They are generally the local busy-bodies with nothing better to do Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: James_G
I wonder why the DVLA think that these people have reasonable grounds for wanting your address, but the courts don't agree that they are doing anything of sufficient merit to warrant a prosecution.

The DVLA are quite happy to sell your details on a commercial basis - Tesco use them for their parking now.  They merely record if you are in their car-park for longer than their prescribed limit using ANPR cameras, then request your details from the DVLA and send you a parking fine.
B.
Community Veteran

yuk!  we're all being turned into snitches. Sad