cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeding on motorways could get very expensive as could not having a TV License

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Speeding on motorways could get very expensive as could not having a TV License

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10887161/Maximum-motorway-speeding-fine-set-to-rocket-t...
Offences set out in "level one" such as "unauthorised cycle racing on public ways" or being found drunk on a highway will see fines increase from £200 to £800, while people convicted of "level two" crimes such as riding a motorcycle without a crash helmet or being drunk in a football ground will see the maximum penalty rise from £500 to £2,000.
Offences such as television licence evasion, selling of alcohol to a drunk person or being drunk and disorderly in a public place - known as "level three" offences - will rise from £1,000 to £4,000.
"Level four" crimes such as motorway speeding, taxi touting and using a vehicle in a dangerous condition will rise from £2,500 to £10,000.
19 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Speeding on motorways could get very expensive as could not having a TV License

if they got rid of points and raised the limit on the motorway I'd be happy with that..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Speeding on motorways could get very expensive as could not having a TV License

and the judges will have "discretion"... in exactly the same way as "life" means nothing more than a few years of your life in jail...
pointless rises in max fines.... unless they are enforced at MAX... the "usual suspects" will still flout the law for all they can get away with... and usually that is 9 times out of 10....  Huh
TORPC
Grafter

That will cause more of a decline of pubic houses, where would the start taking the tax lost from as a result ?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: TORPC
That will cause more of a decline of pubic houses,...

How would increasing fines affect the business of Pubs? Unless of course existing drink driving offenders are not deterred by current penalties.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10887161/Maximum-motorway-speeding-fine-set-to-rocket-to-10000.html

<snip>
Offences such as television licence evasion, selling of alcohol to a drunk person or being drunk and disorderly in a public place - known as "level three" offences - will rise from £1,000 to £4,000.
<snip>

Public houses do indeed sell alcohol, which indeed gets people who drink alcohol excessively, will indeed get drunk,
Drunk person gets served by licensee =======> Licensee gets fined, looses licence to trade, public house closes down
nanotm
Pro

not to worry most people wont be able to afford to drink having already been declared bankrupt for speeding fines (and why is it always the lowest paid who get the highest fines and the millionaires get the minimum £300) or having been picked up on yet another overenthusiastic D&D roundup spree......

4K for being arrested when drunk in a public place or 1K for being drink on the side of the road ......that'll fill up the coffers pretty quick as the maximum fines get dished out to anyone walking home after a night out ....
almost seems like there trying to sneak in outlawing booze, and bizarrely enough on the news today they were reporting on the rise of shisha smoking (often used for pot) almost as if there's a concerted conspiracy to convert everyone to the ways of sharia in an underhand way (surely not I mean all those nice Muslims were just on the TV complaining about those nasty Ofsted types making things up about them...)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

I was reading about the latest Ofsted findings claims
Just do not know what to believe any more
It seems the media are getting their CV's in order for the fiction category
nanotm
Pro

I think the real problem is that Ofsted have half a dozen kids from each of the schools all saying the same things about segregation and extremism as well as a few parents, 6 of them were placed into special measures and that investigation took place before the media hype started  so there's a fair chance its even correct.
it would appear though that one thing all of the schools now under special measures have in common is sharing members of the board of governors a few of which were denied permission to open a free school  on the grounds they were extremist....
the danger with all this is that they will ban Muslims from running schools on the grounds of preventing extremism in children (which it would likely cause) when unfortunately a lot of Muslims don't want to cause trouble and hate the perversions of there faith creeping across the world ....
back on topic though there clearly attempting to replace the plod with more cameras and subsidies the tax income with fines as not enough people have high paying jobs ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 125

selling of alcohol to a drunk person

How is one deemed to be drink in a pub? Slight slurring of speech when ordering (but maybe they have a speech impediment), staggering to the bar, use of abusive language? From my experiences in pubs landlords generally used discretion and, in most cases, got it right.
How drunk is drunk Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

How drunk is drunk ?
Usually when everybody claims that you have had enough  except yourself.
Another useful test is that the more you drink the more rubbish you talk often linked with an increase in loudness to get your opinion across.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: gleneagles
Another useful test is that the more you drink the more rubbish you talk .

I know some people in my life where that certainly wouldn't be an indicator  Grin

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
How drunk is drunk ?
Usually when everybody claims that you have had enough  except yourself.
Another useful test is that the more you drink the more rubbish you talk often linked with an increase in loudness to get your opinion across.

I wouldn't ask these Policemen  Cheesy Wink Roll eyes Lips are sealed
[quote= http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-26344925]Leicestershire Police officers caught drink-driving
Generic drink driving test
Two of the misconduct investigations were over drink driving convictions
Four employees left Leicestershire Police in two months over misconduct allegations, newly published information shows.
The allegations include unauthorised use of police computer systems and breaching standards by drink driving.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: shutter
pointless rises in max fines.... unless they are enforced at MAX... the "usual suspects" will still flout the law for all they can get away with... and usually that is 9 times out of 10....  Huh

Well when I was fined for speeding (~8 years ago) I got fined £250 and 3 points. The next case a DRUNK driver got fined £150 and a ban. Why the lower fine?
These days I can't afford to speed, and can't remember last time I was in a pub.  Undecided
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
and can't remember last time I was in a pub

I've had a few days like that as well. Smiley