cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeding fines - is this fair

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Speeding fines - is this fair

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15155127.Higher_speeding_fines_come_into_force_next_month__her...

Or if you are caught going between 31 and 40mph in a 30mph zone you will get three penalty points and a fine of between 25 and 75 per cent of your weekly income.

47 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Speeding fines - is this fair

The obvious problem with this is that 75% of £0 is £0. Easy enough to solve that by specifying a minimum, for example 75% of weekly income subject to a minimum fine of £200.

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I'm not a driver, so it won't affect me. However, it does seem unfair, and as your speedo has a tolerance, how the heck can you control your speed reasonably - I don't mean someone doing 70 in a 30 limit zone, but an indicated 28 in a 30 zone, and getting 'caught' for doing 31 - not possible, even speed cameras are not that accurate!

John
Fixes: 123

I regularly go past one of those speed displays in a 40 MPH zone where my speedo indicates just below 40 (so possibly doing less  - 36 or 37) yet the bloody thing still flashes up the 40MPH display.

Either my speedo is underestimating or the display is calibrated wrong.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

There "used to be" an allowance of !0% inaccuracy on speedo readings, compared to actual road speed, however, I am not sure if the modern day speedo`s ( speedometer - not clothing )... are covered by this "allowance" due to modern technology.

I checked my speed at 30mph, showing on the dial, and compared that to the speed shown on my sat nav  (Garmin).. it was 28mph... at 60mph on the dial, the satnav was showing 58mph.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Mav wrote:

I regularly go past one of those speed displays in a 40 MPH zone where my speedo indicates just below 40 (so possibly doing less  - 36 or 37) yet the bloody thing still flashes up the 40MPH display.

Either my speedo is underestimating or the display is calibrated wrong.

No... your speedo is not underestimating.... it is a "movement sensor" triggering the showing of the 40 limit sign..  same as those for road junctions that light up as you approach them

the true "speed display" signs do actually use a radar signal to check your approach speed, and this is shown on the screen as you approach. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

In answer to the implied question about a fine & points if you've marginally exceeded a speed limit, yes I think it is fair. To avoid the fines, stick under the speed limit.  I think the real question is to question whether the actual speed limit is relevant and challenge that with the road authority before you get caught. 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

How will you really know if you have marginally exceeded the speed limit as all the devices are just not that accurate. Are we saying that just to be safe don't exceed 25 in a 30?

The high paid will never get massive fines in marginal cases as they are the ones who can afford to shoot holes in the accuracy of the measuring devices.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Dashcams with GPS modules built in to show speed on the video would be useful, you just have to remember to hit the "save clip" button when you get flashed, video evidence is much better than technology that may or may not be calibrated accurately... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

What isn't fair is the amount of flash adverts running in that page oldjim. Do you have any idea how much that just locked up my single core PC? lol

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

Absolutely, much fairer than having a set amount regardless of income otherwise what's the point?

Paying a hundred quid out of a pension for example is a much harsher penalty for me than for say the George Osbornes of this world! As for clocking somebody doing 31 in a 30mph zone well that is clearly nonsense and something that could easily be challenged in court.

The higher the speed the higher the fine set against the higher the wage. Simples. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

When I first read that I was wondering if it was an example of the "fake news" I keep hearing about.

I mean there are more important things that need doing regarding roads.

On another thread it's been about accidents, age, concentration.

Well I'm finding that a higher and higher percentage of my time when driving is on concentrating on the road surface just ahead of the car. To avoid ever increasing numbers of potholes. On some long sections of main road I virtually drive in the centre of the road.

And here we have a council blathering on about the minutia of road speed while Rome is burning.

Minivanman
Hero

So true about those potholes, I'm on by third set of front suspension springs - the last one has only lasted two years so maybe they need the income from those fines to pay for road repairs.

No? Me neither. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 47

The main road through our housing estate was in a really bad way with pot-holes causing motorists to drive slowly around the holes.

Then two things happened, the council resurfaced the entire road and introduced across the entire housing estate a 20mph zone.

Drivers now had a lovely smooth road to race down and the 20mph limit is generally ignored.

There is a junior school halfway along the road and I see most drivers will slow down when approaching the school during busy times.

Late in the evening it can become something of a drag strip at times.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

Sorry @Oldjim, but we seem to have fallen into a discussion here about potholes so here you go, four of them right in front of the house - and they wonder why we complain - as I have several times in writing and enclosing this photograph.

Dare to walk out as a car is passing in the rain and you'll get face full........ trust me Crazy2 

IMG_2016 (3).JPG