cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeding cyclists?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Speeding cyclists?

A short while ago I was driving on a local road that has a 40mph limit on it. A cycling club was obviously have a "run out" with 20 or cyclists spread out over a distance of half mile or so.
I was doing just on the limit on a comfortably (for cyclists) slightly downhill section and noticed that I was keeping pace with some of the more energetic among them. Approaching a traffic calming width restriction, I slowed to let the cyclists nearest to it through (who didn't look or slow down!!)
Shortly after the width restriction there is a 30mph Gatso camera, I (of course) slowed for this and found myself being undertaken very fast by a group of cyclists doing considerably more than the 30 or just under that I was travelling at.
It happens this particular Gatso is currently not active, but I would like to ask, notwithstanding the difficulty of identification can speeding cyclists "set-off" a Gatso camera, especially a closely packed group of them?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Speeding cyclists?

Given that a motorbike can and will set it off then I don't see why not. However as you say there is no way of fining them or identifying them.
shalom2010
Grafter

A new money maker - yippee!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Worrying thought
Driving along in a 20mph limit through a speed camera and being over or undertaken by a cyclist which triggers the camera - try proving it wasn't you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

There is a roller skater being caught by a Gatso on youtube
roller skates
Fixes: 47

If the cyclist was involved in an accident with a pedestrian crossing the road the cyclist couldn't be charged with speeding as he/she probably has no reliable way of determining his/her speed.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Again cyclists being a law unto themselves with no regard for the law or other road users Sad
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
cyclists being a law unto themselves
Maybe not.  Wink
I believe road speed limits in the UK apply to Motor Vehicles, which does not include normal bicycles.
Not sure about the ones with those electric "boost" thingies though.............
I believe there is an offence of "cycling furiously" as well as dangerously or carelessly.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Oldjim
Worrying thought
Driving along in a 20mph limit through a speed camera and being over or undertaken by a cyclist which triggers the camera - try proving it wasn't you

Thats what the white marks on the road are for - so that they can manually verify the speed of the vehicles and see if you were or were not speeding. It's also why they take two pictures half a second apart so that they can count the white lines crossed in that time and work out your speed. As much as I hate the damn things (a few unfair near misses doing 27 in a 30 lol) I'm pretty confident of not being wrongly accused.
Quote from: Strat
If the cyclist was involved in an accident with a pedestrian crossing the road the cyclist couldn't be charged with speeding as he/she probably has no reliable way of determining his/her speed.

They can still be done for other road traffic offences though!
I know someone who got caught speeding on a horse once lol. The fuzz caught up with her doing 48 in a 30. When I asked her what happened (eg cos she was on a horse) she said she they didn't muck about and just took her straight to court where she got 6 points on her licence.
@HP AFAIK, the highway code doesn't make any reference to speed limits only applying to motor vehicles. I may be wrong but as I understood it, it applied to all users of the public highway.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The RTA is the reference and that is specific. The HC is poorly worded in this respect.