cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed limit

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Speed limit

So I am doing 70 mph in the left hand lane of the mototway, if anyone passes me are they breaking the law ?

Equally if they decide to pass me at 71 - 72 mph it will clearly take them much longer to get past thus causing a problem for others who wish to get past, a good example are lorries in the second lane taking miles to get past other lorries.

The other 70 mph issue is a lorry directly behind you and only inches away.....Do you speed off to a more safer spot and thus break the law in doing so ?

And finally are you much safer in a car that can get to 0 - 60 mph faster than a car with a much slower speed rating ? ie: so you can get away from these tail gaters

19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Speed limit

Heavy Goods  vehicles are limited to 56mph.. ( I believe ). by a speed limiter on the engine... ( and the speed is also recorded on the tacograph paper )... and if you see a lorry in your rear mirror...  by all means .. get out of his way, as soon as, and as safe as possible.... after all..( you are probably going too slow ! ).. you will come off worse in a shunt !..

The reason it takes HGV`s a long time and distance to overtake, is because the driver of the HGV being overtaken does not want to lose his speed/momentum, to let the other HGV overtake him.... PLUS... the driver of the HGV doing the overtaking.. has not "read the road" correctly, (probably)... and decided to overtake on a slight gradient up hill, instead of waiting for the next available downhill gradient..( or level section ).. It doesn`t take much of a gradient to slow down a HGV.. especially the very large ones..

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Regarding overtaking no, I don't think they are..... but happy to be corrected.

As for that lorry just move over to another lane - and safer in a faster car? I'd say so as there are times when my 1.2 Fiesta could have done with a much beefier 1.6 when, well overtaking!

Zip out zip in much safer I'd say. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

On shaky ground here, but I think most traffic police will give you the benefit of the doubt if you briefly exceed the speed limit to overtake a slower moving vehicle. Even more unsure, don't traffic police have to follow you for a minimum of 1/4 mile before "pulling" you? or is that an urban myth?

However, I wouldn't try that under "Smart Motorway" cameras if they're showing a speed less than 70 or indeed no speed at all I would not exceed 70 indicated.

Anyway, what is accurate indicated speed? at 70 indicated on my speedo, my sat nav shows regularly 65. Speedos can err on the side of underreading by some margin. Unlike the traffic police who are supposed to calibrate speedo's (to what!!) before each shift. Speeding tickets have been beaten by the police being unable to prove that a calibration was correctly carried out.

The fitted tyres on my car are 45 section as indicated in the handbook, when I bought the car it was fitted with (cheepie) 50 section. my advice was that this does cause a difference in indicated speed and actual speed but is minimal. Some tyre makers don't have all the different sections in their range. In my case Goodyear do 45 but not 50 in my choice of tyre.

All this only serves to begger the question...how fast am I actually going? Given that speedos are not accurate, and sat nav's are subject to all kinds of geographic variations, tyre size and wear can make a difference...probably less than I think I am.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Errata: that should have been speedos over read not under read.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@petlew

What you say about the speedometer in cars is correct but I wonder how far out it has to be before it's a mot failure, unless of course it is not included in the test, in which case it does not need to be working at all.

@Minivanman

I agree with you that a quicker car (in the right hands) is far better for getting you out of tight spots.

Community Veteran

@gleneagles I would be intrigued to know how a speedo is tested at MoT. I think its only the milage that's recorded that is passed on to the DVLA.

Oh! maybe its checked that its not disconnected? but I don't think so, it would need a rolling road and my garage certainly hasn't got one of those, only the brake test rollers.

Community Veteran

With reference to my earlier post; I'd be fascinated to know how, and with what the Police calibrate their speedo's. And how do they know the calibration is accurate. Just take the desk sargents word for it!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

With ref to my previous post, re - speed limiter fitted to HGV ..

https://movingon.blog.gov.uk/2015/03/18/reminder-hgv-speed-limit-changes-in-england-and-wales/

European speed limiter requirements also remain unchanged and must be set at 56mph or lower.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

What you say about the speedometer in cars is correct but I wonder how far out it has to be before it's a mot failure, unless of course it is not included in the test, in which case it does not need to be working at all.

As I understood things, cars being delivered - trade plates in back window, used to have their speedo's disconnected for obvious reasons.

Whether this practice still continues where possible, or is still legal, I don't know.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Back to the driving at 70 being overtaken, the leeway for that is speed limit plus 10%, so, up to 77mph and they're good, 77.00000001 though and they're in trouble... Tongue

Luzern
Pro

http://www.ukmot.com/manual/6.7/Speedometer#MOT

http://www.raccars.co.uk/news/why-your-sat-nav-makes-your-drive-faster

I hope both are of interest!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

@billnotben

"As I understood things, cars being delivered - trade plates in back window, used to have their speedo's disconnected for obvious reasons. Whether this practice still continues where possible, or is still legal, I don't know"

I'd imagine it was illegal as the vehicle would not be roadworthy? 

Maybe those drivers thought speed cameras worked by photographing the speedo.Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Looks like it was legal, as I remember reading it somewhere, but isn't now (probably).

Lords Reading

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

So I am doing 70 mph in the left hand lane of the mototway, if anyone passes me are they breaking the law ? 

It depends. Which way are they going?