cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed camera detectors

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Speed camera detectors

Just seen an advert for this: https://www.drivesmartdirect.com/product/drivesmart-alpha

I don't know about anyone else, but every single car I've ever owned has had a device fitted as standard that, if used correctly, totally eliminates the possibility of getting fined as a result of being caught by a speed camera. Why pay for something like this?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Speed camera detectors

A strong return spring on the throttle pedal is cheaper.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

As much as I detest speed cameras this is not the sort of thing I'd be happy using. I'd much rather keep my speed down and 'drive aware' as the saying goes. Each to his or her own but I do not travel far these days and where we do go, we more or less know where those 'oh so sneaky' spots the money making menaces park up.

As for those cameras on overhead gantries on motorways and such like well just assume they really are, everywhere.

Big bother is watching you.   

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Mayfly
Pro

Most Sat Navs give you camera warnings

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

My Sat Nav was beeping a warning so often I disabled that function!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Next time you pass one of those fixed speed cameras in the yellow box and the camera is on the opposite site of the road and facing in your direction look at the small window where the camera is as you can see the lens of the camera not all boxes contain a camera but be aware that cameras are moved around so at some point in the future the box could contain a camera.

As none of you speed this information is irrelevant to you but gives you something to do on a long journey when boredom sets in.

idonno
Rising Star

The in thing round these parts (Lincolnshire) are average speed cameras spread over many miles. Much like those set up on roadworks. Fixed camera sites seem to be dying a death of late. Several on the A1 are covered up. Far easier to have a mobile van. I've even seen a Police motorcycle with a speed gun (just turns up, and within seconds was up and running). They starts early too! 6.30am

I see on the M25 a lot of the cameras that used to be above the gantries have been done away with, to be replaced with yellow speed cameras located to the side of the gantry, out of sight.

Me, I just set the cruise control to the speed limit and just drive. Less fuss, no worries and cheap.

ffox
Rising Star

Many of the main roads round here have average speed cameras these days, as do smart motorways.  They seem more effective in reducing speeds than the GATSO type and the traffic flow is steadier.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

If all the money collected by speed cameras was spent on the NHS that would be one problem solved.

Smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

If only, demand will always exceed supply. Sad

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Easier said than done @jelv

My son in law is a copper, and he's been caught twice!

Getting nabbed doing a hundred on the motorway or tripping that forty or fifty urban speed limit is one thing, but getting done going downhill at a nudge over thirty even in a 1.2 Fiesta whilst wearing my flat cap...... and yep, there they often are waiting at the bottom. 

If it was all about road safety then fine, but as we all know it's not. Grrrr.