cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Cameras or Safety Cameras ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Speed Cameras or Safety Cameras ?

What is the difference between a Speed Camera, and a Safety Camera?
Nothing.... they are exactly the same.... just a different name so that "we" gullible public will "eventually" be convinced that the police/local authority/ safety partnership(?) (who thought up that combination for a name?)  can fleece motorists. Sad
While I agree that the speed limit should be observed by all, and that excess speed can be the cause of accidents. I am not convinced by the term "safety camera".
The name implies they are there to record "safe driving".... when in fact they are there to record "unsafe" driving.... i.e. driving over the legal limit for that stretch of road. Shocked
I cannot confirm the following, but I suspect the camera`s inside those yellow boxes, previously "speed cameras" have been replaced with another kind of camera called a "safety camera"... Which obviously works in a different way to the "speed camera"..... Undecided
Can anyone think of other similar "super con" titles (alternative more acceptable titles) for things, or jobs.....
e.g "waste transfer station".... real meaning  ...    a big hole in the ground we used to call "the tip".      Roll eyes
71 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Speed Cameras or Safety Cameras ?

At one time, several years ago it was illegal to publish, or have detectors for speed cameras, because of complaints like this it was decided to be more open and paint the boxes yellow and also to list on the Internet and local papers the location of the cameras and also to now call them safety cameras.
If you Google for your county and safety cameras, you should come up with this list, within that list should be a sectiion showing the reduction of accidents due to the introduction of cameras, not all councils have in fact done this yet.  I think that part of the new breed is that if it doesnt reduce accidents, they remove the camera
See this link for what all the types of cameras are and what their uses are, Not all Cameras do what you think.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras#guide
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@ Shutter
I tried looking at Hampshire, went round and round in circles, could not find anything substantive, to see how it should be presented see Essex  or Suffolk
jmd
Grafter

On the subject of tips - I thought I would look up the details of the new one they have in Worksop.  I went into the website and could not find it but just happened to click on "abandoned vehicles" [thought it may have some relevance!] and it linked me to the history of the Mayoral Chain.
Now I know Mayoral Chains are weighty but I did not know they came under "abandoned vehicles"!! Grin
Perhaps the tip or "Waste Transfer Station" are a good place to look for recycled chains? Huh
Community Veteran

Well, I`m not sure, but if you find 22 chains, then you might be measuring a mile..... Or was it 22 feet make a chain?  It`s ages since I did any land surveying .... Wink  Wink  Wink
jmd
Grafter

How about a job as a Seasonal Outdoor Leisure Amenity Operative bit of a mouthfull?
duties - responsible for the supervision of the outdoor leisure facilities, including the preparation of the activity areas, issue of tickets and equipment, sale of ice creams/snacks/refreshments, cleaning of the buildings and activity areas and basic grounds maintenance to bowling greens, borders and pathways. You will provide a prominent site presence and be active in ensuring that designated areas of the park are kept tidy and clear of litter.
Did they not used to call these "Park-keepers"?  all that for £6 per hour!
Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Wellll, if they are "safety" cameras, then surely they would -for er! safety reasons- be switched on all the time, which those round my are definitely not, implying that safety is only a part-time issue perhaps...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

My sister in Law lives in a council house near you and she Call the Council Workers the Bassettlaw Bodgers
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@Petlaw Norfolk had a similar problem, thay had 10 yellow boxes but could only afford one camera, and person to change the film, but It does make people think and slow down.
One of our bad roads in Essex is the A127 from London to Southend, the County Council and Southend Unitary  have just announced that they are going to put Specs cameras from Basildon to Southend, because  People were slowing down for the camera and then speeding up, now they will have to keep a costant speed all the way, It works a treat on the Southern bit of the M11 where they have a contra flow in operation.
jmd
Grafter

Pierre -How come your sister deals with Bassetlaw council staff - she does not live in Bassetlaw but East Markham[diff council]? Huh
Community Veteran

Did they not used to call these "Park-keepers"?  all that for £6 per hour!

If you look carefully at that job description, you will be able to find at least jobs that would take a minimum of four people, but depending on the size/number of  "borders" could be as many as six....
The council who advertised that job certainly want their "pound of flesh" for £6 per hour !... Undecided Cry Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sister in Law lives in Normanton-on-Trent
Mother in law lives in East Markham
jmd
Grafter

I thought that came under Newark............................... but perhaps Bassetlaw is bigger than I realised?
Strange having a council named after a dog.................................... Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: jmd
Pierre -How come your sister deals with Bassetlaw council staff - she does not live in Bassetlaw but East Markham[diff council]? Huh

You threw Me I dont live there so I had to find out what council you came under, does this help?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: shutter
Well, I`m not sure, but if you find 22 chains, then you might be measuring a mile

Isn't that something to with the length of 8 cricket pitches?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.