cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Cameras 2019

Anonymous
Not applicable

Speed Cameras 2019

We use a very comprehensive website which list all local road & Motorway traffic problems, including Speed Camera Location warnings

This location is half way along a long straight inclined road with a 30mph speed limit, and catches a lot of drivers exceeding the speed limit.

A convenient side road, with a tall metal fence, the police hide behind with just the speed gun poking out !

But the location is well known amongst locals.

It is however used by many at the moment, due to up to 2 hour delays local roadworks, and is an un-signposted diversion.

Personally I value my clean license, and use Cruise Control all the time, not just on Motorways.

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 21.47.17.png

25 REPLIES 25
Mav
Fixes: 431

Re: Speed Cameras 2019

@Anonymous wrote:

Personally I value my clean license, and use Cruise Control all the time, not just on Motorways.

I have this view that if someone needs cruise control to stay within a speed limit then maybe that driver doesn't have the necessary skills to be on the road. My instructor, back in the 80's, used to occasionally cover the speedo and ask me what speed I was doing. If I had just checked then I could give a correct answer. Often I didn't so had to learn to gauge my speed by my surroundings. I feel that was a valuable lesson. I feel much the same for other things like parking sensors, automatic lights, wipers and parking, etc. If you need these then should you be on the road? I also prefer to be in control of a car and not the other way round.

The instructor also frequently covered the rear view mirror asking me about the car or two behind. This helped me to be more aware of my current situation and potential dangers.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mav wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have this view that if someone needs cruise control to stay within a speed limit then maybe that driver doesn't have the necessary skills to be on the road.

Well,  I have been on an advanced Police Driving Course !

And my occasional driver for long trips is an ex Police Traffic Cop !

I do not wish to be continually watching my speed.

I just set the cruise control, and are aware of my surroundings, and enjoy the views !

The only concession I make, as they are all automatics, and thus have little engine braking on downward slopes, is to manually select a fixed low gear on the steering wheel paddles.

Still using Cruise Control.

Having said that, the Ford Kuga does exhibit some engine / transmission braking in Drive when a low speed limit is set, though not enough on a steep hill.

One road I use has a speed limit of 20mph, it is a long winding road through a built up area, on a continual steep downward slope, I use the cruise set at 20mph .

Most of my cars are extremely powerful, and just the slightest touch on the accelerator can take me over the speed limit, if I am travelling at or close to it.

Which is one reason I have the Honda Jazz Hybrid for local use.

One useful feature is the ability to set audible speed indications, I set mine at 30mph & 50mph.

Presumably you don't use cruise control then ?

Ever ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mav wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I feel much the same for other things like parking sensors, automatic lights, wipers and parking, etc. If you need these then should you be on the road?

I do find these extremely useful.

Especially parking sensors, with shoppers walking behind you when starting to reverse out of a supermarket car parking space, surrounded by other cars.

I tend to give a quick beep on the horn in such a situation, but they still do it !

I also slightly drop drivers window, if Sunroof is not open, to be audibly aware of what is going on around.

Not to mention drivers that consider a supermarket car park a race track, not there when you check, looming whilst reversing. 

Also bollards, that disappear below the rear window when reversing...

All, not necessarily a need, but useful.

Daylight running lights, automatic lights & windscreen / rear screen rain sensors, all good stuff.

TPMS too.

Once you've experienced them, there is no going back.

Very impressed with the Kuga automatic parking as demonstrated, which I don't have..... yet !

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

We know most of our 'let's raise some money' honey traps and we all know the sort, those down hill runs where it abruptly changes to 30 before you realise it - especially if your mind is on other things.

Drive aware is the best advice and as for cruise controls, what better than either myself or the Mrs just gently saying, "watch your speed here love" after forgetting to take it down a notch. Mind you, I was behind a rather smart looking soft top Audi a couple of days back and noticed it had a three litre injection badge on the back.

Nice, but what a waste and what's the point as after driving behind it for over thirty miles... he was still only one car in front as we hit town... 

Beep beep. Smiley

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well,  I have been on an advanced Police Driving Course !

And my occasional driver for long trips is an ex Police Traffic Cop !

Can I ask @Anonymous where, when and how you managed to get on to an APD Course? As I understand it you are a civilian.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Infinity wrote:

@Infinity must have a far better cruise control than I have because when I touch the brake peddle the cruise control is switched off and has to be reset that would be a pain

Brian A 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Newer cruise controls are way better than they used to be allowing you to temporarily increase speed for a short time and some can even read the road sign speed limits and auto set accordingly, in fact I think @Infinity’s Kuga can do this. But in most, if not all, as soon as the brake is applied they turn off but with controls on the wheel it’s hardly an effort to re-enable.

Maybe it's time you upgraded. Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning   ,

You are correct I can accelerate to overtake but when I take my foot off the accelerator the speed drops to what its set at and I can change the set speed on the steering wheel or cancel it in fact most things can be done from the controls on the steering wheel.

The point I was  making I would find it very inconvenient to keeping having to reset it every time I braked but I think it would be dangerous if it did not cancel

I'm a poor OAP on a fixed income ( that's what I tell people to get a discount and good deals ) so I won't be changing the car yet as she has only done just over 20K  and only has been used for long journeys the bus pass is used for short trips

Brian A

Strat
Fixes: 506

@Mav wrote:

My instructor, back in the 80's, used to occasionally cover the speedo and ask me what speed I was doing

When I flew a light 2 seater plane over Doncaster airport the instructor covered the instrument panel.

He said I was watching the artificial horizon when I had a perfectly good real one outside the window.

Not just people behind the wheel of a car that need to be observant.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

First question I asked when I bought my last 3 cars....has it got cruise control? I wouldn't buy a car without one. Just set the speed you want and that's it. If you start to catch the vehicle up in front, really is no different to easing off the throttle. Quick flick of the wrist and you just lower the speed or increase it. I suspect those that rubbish the idea, just do very short journeys or have never used them much.
My friends Merc will even keep a set distance from the vehicle in front.

Parking sensors for me are a big turn off. If you can't park a vehicle without them, back to driving school! But then I've had plenty of practice as I've been driving vans for years
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The point I was  making I would find it very inconvenient to keeping having to reset it every time I braked but I think it would be dangerous if it did not cancel

I agree with you especially if driving in town. But having said that, if you need to set a cruise control to maintain a speed on anything other than a motorway, then maybe it's time to do what Prince Philip did as regards your licence.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

All well and good I guess for those long 70mph motorway journeys but really, are those snooze cruise controls any good for changing speed limits and urban driving?

Don't see it m'self if I'm honest.  

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Mav wrote:.

I have this view that if someone needs cruise control to stay within a speed limit then maybe that driver doesn't have the necessary skills to be on the road. My instructor, back in the 80's, used to occasionally cover the speedo and ask me what speed I was doing. If I had just checked then I could give a correct answer. Often I didn't so had to learn to gauge my speed by my surroundings. I feel that was a valuable lesson..

I disagree with your first point. CC has it's uses although my main concern is that in many automatics it is ineffective at maintaining it's speed downhill. The autobox is capable of deciding when to change up / down gears except when in CC mode - I find that odd.

As for your second point, yeah I do agree that you should be reliant on other senses if possible. I listen to the pitch of the engine to determine if i'm accelerating, slowing or holding steady however thats once in gear and within a certain speed bracket. If I started from 0mph and you told me to accelerate until i was at 30, i'd be slightly stumped. Ultimately speed requires a speedo, humans aren't great at determining it themselves.

Moons ago in the renault I did used to be able to gauge it to within 5mph when accelerating as i knew the car very well and how it behaved. In the Vaux it's a pain. The gearbox display will show D4 and it'll still be in 3rd waiting for an opportune moment to switch upwards so you never really quite know what it's actually doing. I've also been employing engine braking a lot lately and easing off the pedal to coast along on slopes so that makes engine pitch a bit redundant too (but it saves so much fuel!!!)..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not wish to be continually watching my speed.

I just set the cruise control, and are aware of my surroundings, and enjoy the views !

I don't mind using it on long journeys but around town can be a bit unpleasant - especially in an auto. The moment the footbrake is touched and the car starts to slow the CC tries to start accelerating again until it realises the braking is deliberate and releases control. I hear boeing have a similar problem at present and it killed a few people..

Also I've found in every auto i've driven with CC, when i've knocked it off for a roundabout and re-engaged it, the car will accelerate reasonably to start with and then it'll just go for it as hard as possible until it's up to speed. The vaux isn't too bad but still a bit aggressive but the renault would literally drop into 1st for extra torque and carry on accelerating in that gear until it was above 30mph when it would decide to change up and continue accelerating - literally with the pedal having sunk itself to the floor. In a 2.5 that's utterly terrifying at times.

CC is a great tool but it can be problematic if you don't notice the odd quirks and understand the risks of them.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!