Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Camera Vans

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Speed Camera Vans

My pet hate, especially when they have the word 'Police' plastered all over them and the operator is kitted out to look like a copper. Devious certainly, but making our roads safer? Maybe.

We have one parked regularly usually on a Sunday on a long straight wide road showing 30mph only now, he's (I assume it's a he) has moved and hidden behind the brow of a hill on the same stretch of road leading out of town. Sneaky you bet.

Another parks up again half hidden on a steep downward 30 mph stretch that fair play, approaches a school - but he's been there during the holidays!    

What of person would want to do that job? Crazy2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WMmJE0pvzo

PS watch a great video as well of a driver following behind a speed camera van...... that was speeding!  

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
40 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Speed Camera Vans

I agree they shouldn't be in police vans or vans with police stickers slapped all over them AND get permission to dress in those fancy dress costumes but if they work then I guess my thoughts are irrelevant.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 34

@Minivanman - The video you refer to and the video in the link doesn't match the description.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well they work at raising revenue that's for sure, one location in Lincoln raked in £600,000 in just one year!                            Road safety my Aunt Fanny, it's just a cash cow for Councils-  or whoever it is gets the money.

If they must penalise, why do they not just put points on licences?

It's not just about speeding of course, it's also about spying and clocking other offences such as parking, set belts and driving whilst using a mobile phone. Actually saw (and not for the fist time) an ambulance driver using one yesterday. 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Mook

Not sure what you mean.

It's a speed van with Police written on it but anyways, here's another one for you Thumbs Up

images.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I really don’t understand criticising these vans or other means of catching people speeding. If you don’t want to pay a penalty, get a fine or points on your licence for speeding there is a really simple solution: don’t speed!

As for who would want to do that job, well I guess anyone who has seen the consequences of speeding when an accident occurs, anyone who has had a relative killed or injured by a speeding driver, or maybe just someone who feels that doing the job contributes to the safety of everyone.

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WMmJE0pvzo

PS watch a great video as well of a driver following behind a speed camera van...... that was speeding!  

I assumed that the video in the link above was of a driver following a speeding camera van, but it's not, hence my comment.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Because they are a wolf in sheep's clothing and not entirely about road safety, but about raising revenue.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Mook

Ah right yes, well in that case I'd have posted the video after the comment. Thumbs Up

Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Anonymous I guess all the ' real ' officers of the law are up to their eyeballs in paperwork back at the station, and with police cuts etc then I guess it's fine to have impersonators.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

It just baffles me @Steve how many seem to roll over at the sight of a peaked cap, uniform, and a van incorrectly marked.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see no evidence of anyone ‘impersonating a police officer’, nor do I see an ‘incorrectly marked’ van. The welsh police forces are part of Go Safe, and so it is perfectly proper to have the word ‘police’ on the vans. As for the other markings on the van, is it not better to have them so they clearly stand out?

As I indicated above, if you are concerned about them being more about revenue raising than road safety, then not speeding would seem to be the answer. If nobody broke the law by speeding, they wouldn’t raise any revenue, would they?

Community Veteran

I understand what you’re saying @Anonymous as regards the ‘Go Safe’ but isn’t it still ‘wrong’ to have the Police branding on the van. If I were to offer you a tin, that on the side said ‘Biscuits’, your immediate assumption would be there are biscuits inside that tin(, I wonder if there are any Custard Creams). If you then took the tin, opened it and found some pot-pourri you’d be confused at the least if not annoyed at not getting a biscuit to go with your drink.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Next on the agenda, people wearing "Polite Notice" jackets when on bikes... Crazy

IMG_7552-716x375

Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman 

Police Reform Act 2002.

The Act gave chief constables the power to employ civilians in some roles. But, according to campaigners, it did not give them the legal right to catch speeding drivers. 

"Police constables are considered to be officers of the Crown and, as such, are deemed to be able to form what is known as a prior opinion of excess speed. The camera or other device provides the secondary opinion - but one is not valid without the other.

"We have sought top legal advice and they agree that there is no Act of Parliament that gives the civilian camera operators the empowerment to give primary evidence - only a police officer can do that."

Of course this was 2006 so things may have changed

Source: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/revealed-hundreds-of-civilians-are-operating-mobile-speed-cameras-72...

And no I have not searched to see what the outcome of that case above was.