cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Awareness Course

Fixes: 47

Speed Awareness Course

Out of curiosity has anyone else here been on a speed awareness course as a result of a speeding offence or similar.
If so did you elect to go on the course because it was a cheaper option or for a higher reason?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Speed Awareness Course

posted on the I'm saying nowt thread.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

47 yrs driving, never had any speeding or other fines for motoring offences  Wink
shalom2010
Grafter

Well 36 years of driving & no fines, points or tickets & done around 200k miles
nadger
Rising Star

56 years clean and approaching 2 million miles.
Ran courier service doing over 60k per year for over 25 years.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes I have. There were if I remember around a dozen of us on the course, all of us had been caught by a 30mph Gatso at 38mph, for which we deduced that this was the cut-off speed at which the course is offered.
All except one was trying to avoid the three points on the licence. The Speed Awareness Course is not the cheap option, If I remember correctly it cost £105 to attend it as opposed to a £60 fine. Nobody on our course was trying to avoid reaching 12 points, only one was nearing 9 points, most of the others including me would have spoilt a clean licence. In my case my green licence was showing 3 points that had actually expired and awaiting update.
One can probably imagine the content of morning half of the course which was classroom based, with many illustrations of the results of driving too fast, explanations of the signage of speed limits and with much straight-faced wrist slapping. Tea and biccy's and a buffet lunch was provided.
The afternoon was driving with an ex-police driver. Myself and one other lady were the only automatic requestees the choice was available, so we were paired up in a Kia vehicle. I have to admit I did learn something. All of the others were paired in manual vehicles.
What did I learn? that that switch on the auto gear lever (Overdrive On/Off if you have one, the test car did as does my car) is very useful in traffic that is steadily moving below 30mph, I didn't know that.
Why do you ask Strat?  
Edit, For most if not all, the Gatso we were caught by was on our home patch most within a mile or so from home that we were well aware was there. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

This year will be my 50th on two wheels and next year will be my 50th on four wheels.
In that time I've had one endorsement. That was when I was about 19 accompanying a learner friend when he ran out of road. He was fined £10 for Driving without Due Care and Attention and I was fined a fiver for Aiding and Abetting the same!
Geoff,
York.
kdoug007
Grafter

well!! Strat,, I HAVE!!
I  Was  doing  35mph in my  30mph  town
  had  of  course...  the  choice of a  fine/points OR  a  speed  awareness..
so  choice the  latter,,
it  was  quite  interesting  and  lasted  about  3  hours....
AS  a  footnote , it  was in a  hotel  and a  Ham Sandwich was  £6.50
I  complained  to the manager  and  a  argument  started, ware  she  told  me  ware  to go!!!!!!!!
Community Veteran

@Petlew, if you opt to go on the course do you still have to notify your insurance company?
Fixes: 47

Mine cost £85 and lasted 4 hours.
We were told on the course that £85 was cheaper than a £60 fine plus 5 years worth of extra insurance premiums implying that those on the course would not incur 5 years worth of extra insurance premiums.
However if you declare an SP30 with no points and no fine, stating you attended an SAC an insurance company will add £20 to £30 to your premium....I tried it with online quotes and asked the question with 2 companies.
The moral of that tale seems to be pay your fine and take the hit on your premium...it's cheaper.
@artmo we were told that we are required to notify our insurance company of the offence even though we attend the course and don't get a fine or points..
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: artmo
@Petlew, if you opt to go on the course do you still have to notify your insurance company?

We were advised to do so. My company seemed not very interested, can't say I ever noticed a rise in my premium because of it. I have this vague recollection they already knew and that I was merely confirming it.
Noted though that the course I attended about three years ago was nearly double the length of those others mentioned here being an all day course. Is there any standardisation I wonder with Police authorities in my case Hertfordshire. I'm not sure but I think the course was run by a private company. I was able to pick and choose the date I wanted to attend (within limits) so that it didn't interfere with my job.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.