Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speculation on when Plusnet will start offering 40/10 or if they even will

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Speculation on when Plusnet will start offering 40/10 or if they even will

Not a support question

As the cost of 40/10 will reduce to significantly below 40/2 in April 2018 is it likely

• that they will change at that time
  • they will put the change in at the same time as the usual annual price hike in 2018
  • they will incorporate it into a major tariff review due the BT having their standalone line rental capped (I haven't found a date for that)
  • they will ignore it and keep the 40/2 product
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Speculation on when Plusnet will start offering 40/10 or if they even will

guess we'll need to wait and see what Talk Talk do, as that seems to be the trigger for anything that plusnet do.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

fair point but once BT are forced to bring in the lower price for standalone line rental then the pricing for broadband only may need to change or be scrapped

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Yes Plusnet seams to follow rather than lead .
I believe they need to remove the 2 mb upload cap .
And for a lot of customers who can't get the 80/20 a middle product of 55/10 would be nice
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm on 55/10, I miss the 40/20 I started off with when I joined Plusnet, made for uploading to youtube a lot faster (compared to the former ISP's offering of "Uploads? What do you mean you want to upload?"), and I ain't paying extra for 80/20 just for the faster upload... Crazy2

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

It'll depend on the outcome of the consultation, and then if everything in the consultation happens, it'll depend on what happens to the 40/2 product. I think it's more likely that 40/2 will be withdrawn rather than offered at an even lower price than 40/10. I think the proposals are for 40/10 to cost the same as what ADSL currently costs, so they'll be no room for anything less than that.

Ofcom are expecting a fairly significant percentage of people to switch to FTTC over the next few years, especially all the people who have had FTTC available for years but haven't taken it up yet.

Yes, @twocvbloke, it is crazy that you want more bandwidth but don't want to pay for it!

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

ejs wrote:

Ofcom are expecting a fairly significant percentage of people to switch to FTTC over the next few years, .......

I'd really like the opportunity but we are now back to "We are reviewing the opportunities."  I.e.  "We aint doing nuffing this year mate".  But at last they have upgraded us to ADSL2+ a couple of months back.

Sad.  Cry

Fixes: 125

ejs wrote:

Ofcom are expecting a fairly significant percentage of people to switch to FTTC over the next few years, especially all the people who have had FTTC available for years but haven't taken it up yet.

Considering FTTC speeds are around half of ADSL2 here I won't be taking it up any time soon.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Of course a bunch of farmers can, for £30/month, get these speeds:

B4RN and B4YSB4RN and B4YS

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Pete11
Pro

I found it a bit odd when this cropped up. During a recent call with PN I was asked if my connection was stable and the speeds were constant (which they are) and I mentioned my upload speeds would be better if they offered a 40/10 connection (I'm struggling at the moment to keep internet radio broadcast stable).

My point was that PN offer an 80/20 so why not just half that? I was told not to rule it out and was asked if I would I be interested if this were to happen. Frankly yes I would, providing my line can carry it (I don't know what my line is capable of carrying). So yes, if offered it then I would have it providing the line can take it.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

Pete11 wrote:

My point was that PN offer an 80/20 so why not just half that?

Because providing 40/2 costs Plusnet slightly less than 40/10, and there seems to be an awful lot of people who are largely interested in the cheapest possible broadband, who will then be running a speedtest every fifteen minutes and complaining about things as if they're paying for a leased line with some actual guaranteed service levels.

So how much extra would you be prepared to pay for the extra bandwidth?

Pete11
Pro

Actually I don't mind paying a bit extra cash for a bit extra bandwidth, after all, it's only fair. As to how much depends on how it's offered. New customers only?...new and existing customers?, but I'd be willing to pay an extra fiver as an existing customer.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Community Veteran

That would make no sense, because the difference between Plusnet's 40/2 and 80/20 is £5. 40/2 is only £5 more than ADSL. Plusnet could try selling 40/2, 40/10, 55/10 and 80/20 each priced £1.67 or even £2 apart, but I suppose this would make things look so complicated and confusing it might put people off. In might be more trouble than it's worth, if you've got four different products, there'd probably more cases of oops, I've ordered the wrong one, or oops, you've put me on the wrong one to deal with.

Pete11
Pro

Yes, I understand your point, but let's say 4 different products offered, this gives customers 4 choices to pick from. Now, isn't that choice they make their decision? If each offer was made clear and the wrong one chosen, well, customer error, not the provider. The more you get ( in this case bandwidth) the more you pay and I'm willing to pay extra for what I believe would be a more realistic package, 40/10. 

After all, why go for a 80/20 if your line can only manage 60 or 65? then you're paying for something that is not achievable and wasting money for bandwidth that's not available on that line.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

It also would be a lot better if they highlighted the upload speed , rather than sneeking it in Knuppel

the 2mb upload puts a lot of people off joining PN

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .