cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spectacular New Road

Community Veteran

Spectacular New Road

I thought some of you might like to see these pics I got today.  It's the new road being built at the Hoover Dam.  The story with the pics:
Taking shape, the new bridge at the Hoover Dam

Creeping closer inch by inch, 900 feet above the mighty Colorado River, the two side of a
$160 million bridge at the Hoover Dam slowly takes shape.
The bridge will carry a new section of US Route 93 past the bottleneck of the old road which can
be twisting and winding around and across the dam itself.
When complete, it will provide a new link between the states of Nevada and Arizona.
In an incredible feat of engineering, the road will be supported on the two massive concrete
arches which jut out of the rock face.
The arches are made up of 53 individual sections each 24 feet long which have been
cast on-site and are being lifted into place using an improvised high-wire crane strung between temporary steel pylons.

The arches will eventually measure more than 1,000 feet across.  At the moment, the structure looks
like a traditional suspension bridge.  But once the arches are complete, the suspending cables on each side
will be removed. Extra vertical columns will then be installed on the arches to carry the road.
  The bridge has become known as the Hoover Dam bypass, although it is officially called the
Mike O'Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge, after a former governor of Nevada and an American Football
player from Arizona who joined the US Army and was killed in Afghanistan. Work on the bridge started in 2005
and should finish next year. An estimated 17,000 cars and trucks will cross it every day.
The dam was started in 1931 and used enough concrete to build a road from New York to San Francisco.
The stretch of water it created, Lake Mead, is 110 miles long and took six years to fill.
The original road was opened at the same time as the famous dam in 1936.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Spectacular New Road

and to think, it all started with a pencil and paper !  Cheesy
scootie
Grafter

nice bridge but cant help thinking Isambard Kingdom Brunel would of done better
they also had to work out how to cool all that concrete in the dam as if they just poured it and left it as it was it would have taken 125 years for the concrete to cool.
channel 5's big bigger biggest snipiets of info, who said it was all freak shows on that channel
As the dam began to rise to fill the canyon, it grew in fits and starts. Rather than being a single block of concrete, the dam was built as a series of individual columns. Trapezoidal in shape, the columns rose in five foot lifts. The reason that the dam was built in this fashion was to allow the tremendous heat produced by the curing concrete to dissipate. Bureau of Reclamation engineers calculated that if the dam were built in a single continuous pour, the concrete would have gotten so hot that it would have taken 125 years for the concrete to cool to ambient temperatures. The resulting stresses would have caused the dam to crack and crumble away 
It was not enough to place small quantities of concrete in individual columns. Each form also contained cooling coils of 1" thin-walled steel pipe. When the concrete was first poured, river water was circulated through these pipes. Once the concrete had received a first initial cooling, chilled water from a refrigeration plant on the lower cofferdam was circulated through the coils to finish the cooling. As each block was cooled, the pipes of the cooling coils were cut off and pressure grouted at 300 pounds per square inch by pneumatic grout guns         
Community Veteran

I'm always amazed when I see a structure like this and wonder where you start.  As I see the progress at the Olympic site in London I have the same thought.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A Discovery (Sky TV) programme occasionally covers the building of the Hoover Dam, well worth watching. Cost a few lives as well. I don't think it was from this programme I heard it but, I'm sure I've heard somewhere that in the deepest parts of the dam structure the concrete has still not completely cured (but might have done now, it was some years ago that I heard it)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I'm always amazed when I see a structure like this and wonder where you start. 
At the beginning!
Fixes: 47

Quite a task to start in the middle Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

You'd need to be a good swimmer Wink Wink
Fixes: 47

Amazing structure in an equally amazing setting though.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Many years back I flew over the dam.  It is certainly an impressive sight. It's number 7 in the Seven Wonders of the Industrial World.
Community Veteran

A couple of years back on a business trip I had a day or two to myself, I spent one of them gently kayaking down the Colorado, the starting point is right at the bottom of the Hoover Dam. Looking to the top from the very bottom is an impressive sight.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Wow!!  I bet that was some trip Smiley