cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spark Plug

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: Spark Plug

I checked spark and changed the plug on my 135cc B&S Webb mower just before I replaced the carb as I thought spark or plug may be the problem as it was very hard to start but once going would run reasonably well.  Plug was black when I removed it,  but when I checked it again after new carb had fixed the problem of not starting the plug was still black, every time I check the plug now it is black and sooty - guess the engines run rich as they don't seem to have a choke ( except the position of the lever for starting and running - marked with hare and tortoise on mine LOL ).

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@wotsup wrote:

guess the engines run rich as they don't seem to have a choke

It's possible the air filter also needs a thorough cleaning or replacement, once they start clogging up they restrict the airflow, resulting in the engine running rich, as though a partial choke was applied, those engines use a basic sponge filter which is usually cleaned by sloshing it about in petrol 'til it's clean and applying a teaspoon of oil to act as a capturing method for the muck in the air...

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

I changed the filter ( and had cleaned it before that ) when I fitted replacement carburetor and a new plug still went sooty black in very short time.  That filter is similar ( although a lot smaller ) than the one I had on Suzuki DRZ400SM motorbike, that was washed in petrol and then had oil applied,  was expected to be used off road in dusty conditions so they used the oil to catch more dirt ( and smaller particles ) than a dry filter would.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Champnet wrote:

Any recommendations for a cordless electric mower ?

Sorry can’t help you with that.

Lot of good reviews on Amazon by purchasers but I never fancied a cordless mower, most claim the battery will give a running time of 30 to 40 minutes but near the end of that time will it still provide the same amount of power, batteries on some are guaranteed for 3 years but how much are new batteries, also depending on make there could be a problem with spare parts.

All this sounds negative but a petrol or corded mower has constant power but a cordless mower.....I guess you will need to do some detailed research before parting with your cash, GTech have a cordless one for £499......you could get 2 petrol or 4 corded mowers for that price.

😀

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@wotsup wrote:

I changed the filter ( and had cleaned it before that ) when I fitted replacement carburetor and a new plug still went sooty black in very short time.

In that case, maybe open up the filter box with some more holes, give it more breathing space, most things like that are of a "That'll do" spec, so there's always room for improvement... 🙂

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Champnet 

I've had a Bosch Rotak 43Li for five years, and I can honestly say that it beats any petrol mower I have ever used hands down. It's as light as a feather and cuts my 250 square metres of lawn on one battery charge. Admittedly it's a push mower,  ie it's not self propelled, but with it being so light it's not a problem, and the high speed blade produces a cut which I have never had with a petrol mower. No starting problems and it hangs on the wall.

There are a few self propelled mowers around now, but they are heavier and some need a bit of lugging about.