cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam (again)

Fixes: 125

Spam (again)

Normally I only get a few spam/phishing, etc emails a day.
Occasionally there is a sudden influx that lasts a day or two then back to normal.
For over a week, maybe two,I have been inundated with spam/phishing and other emails. Today is the worst so far with around 450. The topic of the day seems to change and today's is 'Remittance Advice'. The majority over the last few days seem to be offering tips on getting a lady. The majority go to 'randomletters@mydomain.org' with some going to used email addresses.
Obviously they all get deleted but how widespread is this at the moment?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: Spam (again)

I've had 30 of the "Remittance Advice" messages today, and 178 of the "offering tips on getting a lady" emails in the last week.  Angry
The thing is, would a real lady actually be interested in participating in any of the suggested tips ? - I think not !  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I get 2-3k spam emails a week that yahoo shoves into my spam filter. Today i feel lucky as they've clearly emptied it for me at some point - i only have 702  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hey.... you guys... why are you so popular?  is it the Lynx Effect ?  I must give that old parrot of mine a bird bath... !  Cheesy

I'll happily forward all future emails to you if you so wish Wink Grin

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Does 'shutter' want the "Remittance Advice" or the "offering tips on getting a lady" messages ?  Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
Hey.... you guys... why are you so popular?   is it the Lynx Effect ?   I must give that old parrot of mine a bird bath... !   Cheesy

Nope Lynx smells of cheap chemicals. I prefer Gillette.. the best a man can get Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@7up..... well,.... there ya go !.... you get the best ( spam ) a man can get !  Cheesy
@ Purleigh.... hmm.... decisions... decisions.... Undecided
@ Mav..... would you really do that to a friend  Shocked

@ Mav..... would you really do that to a friend  Shocked

I did say 'if you so wish' Wink

Community Veteran

Take the "Remittance Advice" as it will work out cheaper than seducing a 'Lady', and you won't catch anything nasty !  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Just checked my spamtrap, two emails, one a mis-identified genuine email and the other just some rubbish "deals" for gambling sites, kind of surprising, usually I have at least 40 in there as I last emptied it over a week ago... Huh
Community Veteran

With 'shutter' being a sailor, I'm sure the 'ladies' in these SPAM messages already know how to deal with salty seamen !
Crazy
randpwar
Grafter

I read a nice article in the Grauniad last week where Tim Dowling suggested that he’s found a niche in the market for correcting spelling, grammar and syntax in phishing emails. When he ran it past an online security expert it transpires that the mistakes are entirely deliberate. The logic is that if someone is….er….unprepared enough (vulnerable?) to be taken in by them then they are not at any time in the process going to question what they’re being asked to do. If they were well written then they would initially snare more ‘victims’ but, being better prepared, most would drop out when asked to supply bank details or pay money, thus 'wasting' the scammers time 
Community Veteran

Whatever happened to PN's spam filtering?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Clogged up with too much chopper pork & ham? Grin