cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Telephone calls.

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Spam Telephone calls.

Answered my mobile phone to be greeted with a recorded message, ' This is an urgent message about you payment protection policy....'  I hung up before the message ended.
Does anyone know who is sending these messages - I assume it is a compensation claim company. 
7 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Spam Telephone calls.

Wasn't the number shown on your phone?
If it was look it up on: Google
And get your phone registered with the Telephone Preference Service
Community Veteran

TPS doesn't cover recorded messages.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Funny you say that I had a couple of spam calls on the mobile the other day. Very rare that is - first time in almost a decade yet the landline gets them every week.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

From the Information Commissioners Office  http://www.ico.org.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/marketing/texts
Are these messages illegal?
The messages appear to breach the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations because they are being sent to individuals without prior consent and without identifying the sender. The messages also appear to breach other legislation and codes of practice.
What should I do?
The law says that any organisation looking to offer this kind of service must identify themselves when they contact you. The companies sending these messages are therefore breaking the law and we would therefore advise that you do not reply to these messages.
How can I stop receiving messages from these organisations?
You can report them to your network operator, who may be able to prevent further spam from the originating number. Unfortunately as the numbers often change, your network provider cannot guarantee to stop all unsolicited messages. You can either contact your network operator’s customer services, or forward spam text messages to 7726.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
thejudge
Grafter

The TPS, with the best will in the world, can't actually do very much because they're a non-statutory body.
Whatever regulator is supposed to be involved with this (Ofcom?) won't climb off its stool and actually do anything.
These calls are an absolute [self-censored] plague.
"Which?" Magazine are running a campaign about this right now:
http://www.which.co.uk/campaigns/nuisance-calls-and-texts/
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

its about time the goverment done somthing about all these spammy calls
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Thank you all for your responses!
I checked my incoming calls log - no surprise there; the number was witheld.
I've signed up to the Which campaign.
This is the first such call I have had on my mobile - hopefully the last.
While on the subject, if any of you are shareholders, beware unsolicited calls from a foreign company offering to buy your shares for an inflated value. They claim to be acting on behalf of a client who is making a take-pover bid for the company whose shares you own. It's a long story but I managed to help someone who had fallen for this scam and fortunately no damage was done.  Smiley  I'm available for PMs if anyone wants to know more about this nasty scam.