Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spain Train Crash: Black Box Data Disclosed

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Spain Train Crash: Black Box Data Disclosed

Tests on the black boxes reveal the driver ignored three warnings to slow down as his speeding train went around a dangerous bend.
A report on the black box data recovered from a train that derailed in Spain has confirmed it was hurtling around a curve at more than twice the speed limit when it leapt off the tracks, killing 79 people.
Police forensic tests on the train's black box recorders found the train was travelling at 179kph (111mph) at the time of the crash, when it should have been going at no more than 80kph (50mph).
The recordings also show the train driver ignored three warnings to slow down in the two minutes before the rail disaster.
The last warning came just 250 metres before a dangerous curve where the accident occurred last week near the northwestern pilgrimage city of Santiago de Compostela.
At that point, the train was going 195 kph (121mph). Four seconds later the driver applied emergency brakes.
But by the time driver Francisco Jose Garzon Amo put the brakes, the train was already beginning to lose contact with the rails and all 13 carriages derailed at a speed of 179kph (111mph).
http://news.sky.com/story/1123842/spain-train-crash-black-box-data-disclosed
1 REPLY
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Spain Train Crash: Black Box Data Disclosed

Disgusting behaviour from a so called professional.
I hope he rots in jail.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!