Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SpaceX's Dragon

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

SpaceX's Dragon

I'm trying to get my head around what all the fuss is over Dragon. Maybe my marbles are shot but I seem to recall rockets going up 50, yes 50 odd years ago doing much the same. What's new about SpaceX Dragon?  It's still a piece of metal being launched into orbit. Trying to reinvent the wheel might be easier.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
5 REPLIES 5
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: SpaceX's Dragon

Err, well as well as being a private enterprise, it was fully automatic with nobody on board going up and coming back aided by technology they could only have dreamed of fifty years ago. Mind you, that Sputnik back in '57 was unmanned so... Wink

I just love this sort of stuff having grown up reading the likes of Dan Dare in The Eagle comic and when only British rockets were used to go off and fight the nasty Mekon! 

Did you notice how they landed that capsule at an angle in order to lessen the impact? Pretty neat I thought, and such a simple idea on top of all that technology.

Capture.PNG

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

@idonno wrote:

What's new about SpaceX Dragon?  It's still a piece of metal being launched into orbit.

And docking with the ISS.

And returning safely to Earth.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
beeceegee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

I just love this sort of stuff having grown up reading the likes of Dan Dare in The Eagle comic

Ah yes, the Eagle was my comic of choice as a kid too (although the price was in "d" rather than "p").

Unthinkable back in 1969, that 50 years on we would not have a moonbase, or even had a manned landing on Mars,

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@beeceegee 

Oops, never noticed that from the clip. Mine was in d's as well back in the early 50s but being in childrens home at that time, us little 'uns had to wait until the older lads had finished reading the one and only copy before we were allowed to poke our sticky little noses into it.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@198kHz wrote: And docking with the ISS.

And returning safely to Earth.

Bit late to the party I'd have said. Cry 50+ years ago Automatic docking by 2 ships And the ships involved didn't splash into the ocean (true, one ship had a mishap on the way down but the other was recovered on dry land). Maybe the Amercian's have lost their history books.

@Minivanman  The Eagle, now that was a good read.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?