cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space Shuttle Discovery

Community Veteran

Space Shuttle Discovery

The Space Shuttle Discovery is being retired and sent to the Smithsonian in Washington. Here's an interesting view inside the shuttle.
Discovery
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Space Shuttle Discovery

The very last flight of the space shuttle will take place on 8th July. It will be the shuttle Atlantis. 
Atlantis
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Question how is NASA going to get the cargo to the International Space Station in the future with out the Space Shuttles?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Using Russian hardware.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

But NASA has a warehouse full of cargo to go to the International Space Station.
Community Veteran

Petlew is right Gary.  it will be taken by the Russians.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

So how is NASA going to get a warehouse full of cargo that needs to go to the International Space Station to the Russians from a warehouse that is the size of 3 football pitchs?
Plus NASA has a new section of the International Space Station to go up, not to menshen the new satellites to go up from NASA, plus maintenance work on some of the old satellites such as NASA's telescope, plus communications equipment such as BskyB satellites, you can not do that from a Russian Spaceship, to do that you need the Space Shuttles that is the only way of doing the work.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

some of those satellites are sent up my French Arianne rockets
Community Veteran

Whilst I don't know the answer to your questions Gary I assume all this would have been sorted out before the shuttles stopped being operational.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

http://www.spacenews.com/launch/091218-ariane-satellite-launch-boosts-french-led-recon-program.html
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Europes_Arianespace_Satellite_Launcher_Hits_Cruising_Speed.html

In 2005, Arianespace, the world's biggest satellite launcher, and Starsem, a European-Russian subsidiary, put 11 satellites into orbit - "a world record", according to Le Gall, and "more than all of our competitors combined".
Ariane completed five flights to launch the satellites and the Starsem-controlled Soyuz rockets flew three missions.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Recent Ariane launch - April 2011  http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/04/live-ariane-eca-launch-yahsat-1a-and-intelsat-new-dawn/
one of the payloads belongs to Abu Dhabi, made in America

and New Dawn - Built by Orbital Sciencs of Washington DC
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: artmo
Whilst I don't know the answer to your questions Gary I assume all this would have been sorted out before the shuttles stopped being operational.

You would hope so!
I have done some research in to Russian Space Ships, I think the Russian's may use the Russian Buran Orbiter to do the maintenance work on NASA's telescope and communications equipment such as BskyB satellites.
Space Shuttle and the Russian Buran Orbiter
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no Garry, they dont have a working shuttle, they ue a parachute capsule to bring the Astro back
The Buran completed one unmanned spaceflight in 1988 before the cancellation of the program in 1993 and was later stored in a hangar at the Baikonur cosmodrome, where a hangar collapse accident in 2002 destroyed the orbital vehicle.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

So in that case the Russian's can not do the maintenance work on NASA's telescope and communications equipment such as BskyB satellites.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

as far as I know, Nobody does any maintenance on the B Sky satellites, but I am not sure if they can do space walks from their craft to look at  the Telescope