cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southern Rail

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Southern Rail

Seems they want to strike over a dispute about who closes the train doors. The Driver or the Guard.

Sickness levels amongst staff are very high but those who suffer the most are the passangers and due to trains being late or cancelled some people have lost their jobs.

Perhaps those who should be losing their jobs are those involved in the strike, this is like going back to the 70's when strikes took place over the least thing.

16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Southern Rail

The way this has been reported, ( and I have only seen the odd snip on t.v ).. it sounds like the "sickness levels" have been "engineered" as a "tactic" by the union, causing disruption to services, that the company cannot directly blame the union for.... after all...people DO go sick,... Honestly.. ...

Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10

They should do what Regan did with the striking air traffic controllers; he sacked the lot & recruited afresh. That role a lot more complex than training up new drivers/ guards.

Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

The way this has been reported, ( and I have only seen the odd snip on t.v ).. it sounds like the "sickness levels" have been "engineered" as a "tactic" by the union, causing disruption to services, that the company cannot directly blame the union for.... after all...people DO go sick,... Honestly.. ...

On the contrary (and i've been following this) the company wants to make opening and closing the doors a driver responsibility and the union says that this will be the start of scrapping the guards. Personally I don't think it's such a bad idea, the train driver can look down the entire length of the train and see if anyone is still using the doorway but the guard has to look left and then right... while something may happen on the left as the guard hits the close doors button.

The trouble is that the union won't back down over this because it was the unions years ago who insisted the trains were not the drivers responsibility but the guards. Oddly in airline circles the captain is in charge of his plane like the driver of a car but in railway circles it's the guard who is in charge and tells the driver what to do.

Anyhow the train company is apparently a bit of a **** to work for and have been itching to cut down on staff for a while. Another forum i'm on reported that southern have been short on staff for ages (deliberately) on the assumption that they can then force existing staff to work 50-60 hours a week and the staff will "just do it". You keep that kind of pressure on staff for long enough and of course they will go sick.

The CEO of the company that owns southern was interviewed on TV recently, she made it quite clear she couldn't care less about the passengers, staff or destruction of the service instead claiming that by introducing a timetable that is a fraction of its normal version, she was providing consistency Crazy2 I'm sure she'd get on well with artmo Funny

She couldn't seem to care less that her version of consistency is far less than the previous version of it with a fuller timetable. If you want my honest opinion, she is the real cause of the whole situation. I suspect she's been engineering it for a while (intentionally or not) by putting profits and shareholders first.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's the 21st century, trains can drive themselves aswell as close their own doors, so, sack the lot and go automation... Grin

Or just stop being a bunch of bickering, whining bad words and just do the damned job they're paid to do!!

Community Veteran

Why not get rid of the guards. So a few passengers die as a result. Why bother about passenger security.

The buses got rid of conductors. No one cared much then about assaults and deaths that followed that may not have happened if a conductor was present.

Worshipping at the altar of profit must come first.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

One of the companies in the mega franchise, ThamesLink, has been operated DOO for some time.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@Luzern - I was just about to point that out, so thanks for saving me the trouble.Wink

Also, some Southern services are DOO, I understand - I've used them frequently on my visits to Brighton, and although most seem to be guard controlled, not all are.

Must have a word with my mate down there - he knows more about the railway than I do about anything.

In any case, IMHO, both RMT & GTR need their heads banging together - the only people suffering are the passengers, and it's bad enough when they run a 'full' service.

John
Luzern
Pro

And Thameslink staff have to cope with both Southern's 3rd rail 650 v DC and 25 kv AC overhead from London (Farringdon) to Bedford.

Oh! How exhausting and extremely technically daunting that must seem to Southern drivers.Roll eyes

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

jab1 wrote:

@Luzern - I was just about to point that out, so thanks for saving me the trouble.Wink

Also, some Southern services are DOO, I understand - I've used them frequently on my visits to Brighton, and although most seem to be guard controlled, not all are.

When I was a youngster living in sussex the trains were frequently DOO when operated by british rail. They didn't have onboard security cameras, LED displays, automatic doors, locked (and suffocating) windows... somehow we managed. The guards were usually scruffy gits too.

While I'd hate to see anyone loose their job due to the squeeze for more profits, I can't really understand the point of it myself other than to provide a visible presence and keep the passengers feeling as though they have a point of contact / reassurance.

With all that said, we did have far superior slam doors back then in the BR days too. No expensive LED displays to worry about being vandalised, no cameras to be smashed up, no expensive thin as possible foam seats to worry about being damaged.... the trains were so basic that there wasn't much to vandalise at all... but they were incredibly comfy seat wise - I miss them! If i had a choice of a class 421 slam door or one of those plastic looking things for my next train trip it would definitely be the slammer.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@7up  Thanks for your reply - confirms what I thought.. Must say though, from my experience, the Southern rolling-stock is better than that of Thameslink (haven't been on the new 12 car stock yet), and I haven't noticed much vandalism - just occaisional non-working LED displays.

As to train staff, if I haven't seen a guard, Revenue Protection staff have usually been around, and except on the really short journeys, I've seen one or the other (or sometimes both).

John
Luzern
Pro

Strike suspended

Let's hope they can sort it out now.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Current pay for a train driver on Southern rail? Go on, take a guess before you click on the link.

http://www.aslef.org.uk/information/102222/102225/102391/gtr_southern_and_gatwick_express/

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Cushy, and easy to train for, just get Train Simulator 2016 and you'll be an expert in 5 minutes... Funny