cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

South Australia suffers terrible bush fire

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

South Australia suffers terrible bush fire

I have just finished a conversation in morse code over the internet, with an Australian friend, and he tells me of some horrific bush fire in south Australia.
so I went to have a look on Google...

A huge "bush" fire has destroyed over 185000 acres of crops, livestock and homes... two people confirmed dead.
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/nov/26/south-australian-premier-bushfire-toll-may-ris...
Once upon a time, this kind of news would have been transmitted by him, and his colleagues, over the telegraph wires laid all over Australia and connecting to India and back to the U.K..
It is good to be able to keep this "tradition" alive, using the modern technology of the internet and the old technology of the morse key.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: South Australia suffers terrible bush fire

- .... .- -     .. ...     --- -. .     .... . .-.. .-..     --- ..-.     .-     ..-. .. .-. . ·-·-·-     ...- . .-. -.--     ... -.-. .- .-. -.-- ·-·-·-
RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mook
- .... .- -     .. ...     --- -. .     .... . .-.. .-..     --- ..-.     .-     ..-. .. .-. . ·-·-·-     ...- . .-. -.--     ... -.-. .- .-. -.-- ·-·-·-

It certainly is!
(I used this)
Community Veteran

Wink
I used this, but looking at your post I could have saved a lot of effort!
Community Veteran

@ Mook...
Seeing that reply, I had to revert to RobPN linky to get a Plain Language translation !...  not because I could not "de-code" it... but because I could not "see" it, with my eyes..  I am trained to read the sound of the characters.and then type or write them.... so translating from the "written" ( for want ot a better term) form takes some time. ! ! ! .
Community Veteran

That thought had crossed my mind, but after I'd posted.  Tongue It was my way of agreeing with your statement regarding tradition, I simply thought I'd take the time and effort to reply.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Morse code can be useful if both the sender and the listener know what they are hearing, I did train in Morse many moons ago but I have never used anything other than the sos code in any practical application and I couldn't remember any of the alphabet either today, I agree that some of the old stuff can be useful and its probably a good idea for people to keep up the skill, personally I would of needed the printed morse mook provided in order to key in the message and then gone to the alphabet package to decode it, (ok so theres an app for that)
with regard to the news, its scary but not unexpected given the weather this year (assuming its not a deliberate or malicious fire) lets hope they don't also get the rest of the weather extremes predicted for the coming months or it will get a lot worse out there
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Morse is something you need to keep using if you want to keep up your speeds, the hardest part is listening to messages sent in morse rather than sending a message in morse.
If you ever listen to morse in the range of 20 to 30 words or numbers per minute for the first time it's hard to see how anyone could understand it.
Some of these old war films where you see them sending morse can be really silly in respect of the slow speed.
I often wonder who could send the most words in a minute, the fastest morse code operator or the fastest word typist, in fact a lot of morse is sent using a keyboard.
I also understand a test in morse code is no longer a requirement for a full amateur license.
As to the fires, they have had a number in recent years, with the wind they spread rapidly and it must be a worry for residents.
Community Veteran

@ Gleneagles...

Ted R. McElroy received just over 75 WPM in 1939
. Harry A. Turner sent 35 WPM using a hand key in 1942 (using Continental code, believed to be equivalent to about 50 WPM in American Morse)

My personal speed... both transmitting and receiving is a max of 25wpm.  ( I use a "straight" or hand key ).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

16 was my  best without errors, 12 was the minimum to pass the test, took me about 3 months to get to that with regular practice.
The figures you quote are amazing.

Smiley
Community Veteran

@ shutter. I guess there must be a point of 'saturation' where you would need someone capable of receiving as fast (or faster) as someone is transmitting as there is no buffering. Is there an expected level of RX/TX competence?
Community Veteran

@ Mook... no there is no requirement to be able to send fast,... indeed many of the people, mostly radio hams, can only manage about 8 to 10 wpm... and those who are more proficient, just accept them ... the good thing is, that it does not really require you to actually "read" the morse tones, as it is decoded and printed on screen... Of course, those of us who have done this as a profession, still like to "copy" the tones, and it also helps those who have limited skills, as they can hear fast morse, and see what it says, thus learning to recognise the higher speed characters the more they listen ... it also helps develop "proper" formation of the morse symbols to those with slower speeds. and gives them an aspiration to achieve.
A ham licence is not required. and anyone can use the system, just make up a call name... e.g. MOOK.. ( My call is GEMS ) . and you are "in"... no sign up... no registrations..  If you want further details, or help in setting up the system...PM me. and I can arrange to send you some stuff direct via email.
There is "some" buffering in the system, and this can be dealt with, as it causes a delay between stations ... details in my setup emails.
For a bit of fun, this afternoon, I decided to make ANOTHER morse key....
(see pic )... yes it does work... ! !
The second pic is also one I have just finished making...  ( see my blogsite for how I did it ). !