cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sounds of the 70's

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sounds of the 70's

We were sitting in front of the box after the 6 o'clock news, scouring the Sky channels for something to watch before a re-run of Top Gear on Dave at 8 o'clock, and found...er! nothing, so thought about putting on a DVD, or talking to the wife (but thought the shock would do her no good at all) as a last resort peeked into the Music menu (not something we do an awful lot) and saw "Seventies at 7" on VH1 classic, so we thought we'd give it a looksee...Weren't we easy to please in those days? I, like many of my generation cut my teeth playing guitar in groups in the late 60's into the 70's. Never really admired the 70's as much as 60's music, it lacked a rawness that no generation since has been able to recapture.
But I (we) quite enjoyed the interlude for a hour, there were offerings from Police, a very young David Bowie, The Village People with YMCA, yes, we sat and did the actions as well. And a very curious piece by an even more curious girl duo called -Oh I forget now- singing (?) "Yes sir I can boogie" which did not over-tax the abilities of the lyric writer, nor the choreographer come to think of it.
If you've got nothing better to watch at 7 in the evening, and you've got Sky, and you're of a certain age, take a look, you may also enjoy it. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Sounds of the 70's

We might have been easy to please, but I still maintain that they were better songs than they put out today (not that I am an expert - don't even watch that X thingy on TV).
I don't have Sky (if I did I probably wouldn't be here as I would be connected to their 'free' broadband). However, I would like to have watched the programme as the music evokes so many memories of my youth. 
Oddly enough, there was something in the paper about some psychologist bods doing research on the power of music in stimulating our memories - can't think why they bothered - we all know that anyway.
I just adore hearing The Beach Boys, Procul Harum and all the rest. I wonder what we will be singing when we are all sitting in our nursing homes? Imagine the scene - a load of oldies singing I Heard it Through the Grapevine!
Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you want to Watch Baccara you dont have to go to Sky try http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KGuFn0RPgaE
Community Veteran

Actually pierre, I knew it was Baccara, but I had to leave you a search opening somewhere, posts wouldn't be the same otherwise Smiley

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: poppy

I wonder what we will be singing when we are all sitting in our nursing homes? Imagine the scene - a load of oldies singing I Heard it Through the Grapevine!

Nah! the Rolling Stones "Get off my cloud" would be far more appropriate...