cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound quality

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sound quality

Have recently been watching the DVD boxed-set of Upstairs Downstairs at the request of SWMBO (shussh, but I like it too) However, it is rather spoilt by the appalling sound quality -it needs to have the TV volume set to 100% and that is only just about liveable with- even when its connected through the HDMI connection. Admittedly, the disc set was never set up for HDMI, most of it is in Mono.
My question is; should I be looking at the DVD player (a fairly new Sony) as the source of the poor sound or, just blame it on the discs and put up with it? I have noticed on other occasions when playing some DVD discs that the volume level has to be raised a bit from the norm but nothing like experienced with this UP/DOWN set.
Would I be better off deselecting HDMI and routing the DVD through the TV/DVD player Scart instead?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Sound quality

Try it on the computer and see what it sounds like
Community Veteran

Thanks Jim,
Oddly, the disc I tried wouldn't play in my laptop at all well. very pix elated and sound even poorer (although this laptop doesn't have very good sound repro anyway) The boxed set dates back to the early 1990's (we haven't had it that long but, long enough) it was dubbed to DVD from the original 4:3 ITV tapes (it is reported) and comes complete with the ad breaks (without the ads!!) According to the box the soundtrack is in Dolby Digital.
I tried reconnecting and viewing with the Scart, but it seems to make little difference.
In fairness the player is not Sony's finest offering but, I would have thought it would reproduce sound reasonably well if the sound signal was Ok. So I suppose after ploughing through all the sound settings on the player and TV with very little change I must suspect the discs have an inferior soundtrack.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

Does the disc itself offer different sound tracks?
PS: Take care that the DVD doesn't stop unexpectedly resulting in the TV returning to another source when on 100% volume as you could end up with damaged ears Wink Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 104

Sounds like it could be a duff disc.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

@dvorak. I lean your way but there are 21 discs in the set and they are all pretty much the same, the odds on all being duff in the same way are pretty long I'd have thought.
Thanks Strat, I haven't looked for that but will do. Yes, have experienced BBC news the following morning at 100% volume...not nice!!

Community Veteran

I agree with dvorak, it sounds like a disc problem.  Can you try it on a friend's player to see what happens there?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Does the DVD player have an option for mono/stereo/surround sound as it might be trying to play it in surround sound mode as the discs may be lacking the necessary trigger to set it to mono/stereo as they are so old
Community Veteran

@artmo, may I respectfully refer you to my reply to dvorak. Although a production run of discs could all be duff I suppose and got past the inspection stage (if there was one!)
@Oldjim, something else to try...I'll let you know. My player set up is to Auto select. Not even sure it has a Mono option (yet, until I look) But as you say if the discs lack the trigger then that could be the problem. Thought that was one of the functions of Dolby?

Fixes: 104

Petlew there have been instances of whole runs of dics been faulty with no QA.
The fact that you suffer pixilation on your laptop would also lead to this conclusion, DVD players have a higher level of fault intolerance in their software.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

@Old Jim,  The discs do not have any soundtrack options. Sound options in the DVD player while the disc is playing remain steadfastly blank, probably indicating the disc's age as much as anything else. No sub-title or language options are available for instance.
However, have just tried a disc in an elderly (Phillips) portable DVD player (that were all the rage a few years ago) of much the same age as the discs in question and found little problem with volume levels when used with (the obligatory) headphones or powered speakers. Next step will be to try headphones with the TV.
Could this be I wonder that relativity modern playing equipment has trouble with some older discs.
Thinking of connecting up an old (JVC) DVD/Video tape combi player out of curiosity to see if its any better. Will let you know.

Community Veteran

Did you buy the discs from Mr Delboy Trotter  Tongue
Fixes: 125

Or got them free with each Russian video camera purchased  Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Sounds like they were produced from a low quality DVDRip rather than a studio.
When you say pixelated is it OK when running but gets pixelated when jumping forward on the PC?
That's a sure sign that it came from a "lossy" source.
Community Veteran

@billnotben, they are pixalated from start up, or the only one I've tried so far is.
@Oddball and Mav....er! no less than Amazon (when it was still known as the Amazon Bookshop)