cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound on TV.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Sound on TV.

The sound on TV's, even the latest ones is poor due to the poor quality speakers, does anyone use a sound bar that actually makes the speech clearer or is this something that no sound bar could ever do if the transmitted program includes poor quality sound.?
12 REPLIES
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Sound on TV.

I always play the sound through a hi-fi system, much improved dynamics.  Cool
TV speakers are just cheap rubbish for the majority, all to keep profit margins high. Undecided
MightyMouse
Grafter

This is interesting.
As I am slightly deaf, I am supposed to wear hearing aides.
Used to wear them for listening to Tv,  but stopped wearing them as although I got the extra volume I didn't get the clarity.
Does a sound bar give extra clarity & if so do you have to buy the really expensive ones .
I've just seen on a website that Bose are bringing one out that costs £1300
Fixes: 47

Quite a selection here http://www.richersounds.com/search/soundbar
Personally I use my 5.1 system as the sound from the inbuilt speakers on my Samsung is atrocious.
The sound from the speakers on my daughter's Samsung is much better than mine.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I set up a quality wide range twin speaker sound system for my TV but my better half can't hear the difference (I can but don't watch TV) so it is sitting there unused until I can figure out how to use it on my computer
Reason for bothering to post is that I tested it with a lady who had a major hearing problem (tinnitus and the rest) who said that she could hear the standard TV speakers more clearly - make of that what you will
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Slightly "off topic"... but as others are on about hearing aids and t.v...... my 2d worth....
I have had 2 hearing aids for about 10 years now... and never really been "satisfied" with the reproduction.... either on a face to face/person to person basis, or trying to listen to t.v....  I usually have to ask people to repeat what they said, at least once, sometimes more.... I hear they are saying something, but it seems to come across "muffled" or as if the edges have been "clipped" from the word sounds... I have been to the clinic three or four times about this, and when I am there, they do the usual "ping" test and chart the response, and adjust the aids accordingly... I can hear the assistant and other people in the room, but as soon as I get "out and about" the "muffled" sound is there...  As for T.V... My missus watches t.v ( I spend my time on the laptop)... she has normal hearing, and I assume the t.v. is turned up loud enough for her to hear properly from about 8 to 10 feet away... If I want to hear the sound on the same programme, I have difficulty hearing it properly, at 2 feet distant !... so. I have to have the subtitles on..... or turn the t.v. up about 10 to 15 notches ! ! ! ...
I have adjusted the volume to max, but it doesn`t make a big difference, unless the t.v is turned up 3 or 4 notches as well.... turning up the volume on the aids also increasses the "background" noise, which then makes speech just as difficult to hear as if it wasn`t turned up.... 
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I've been using the 'line in' on a mid-market' hi-fi system for a couple of decades for TV sound. Any integral TV speaker is carp by comparison.
Not young enough to know everything
PowerLee
Rising Star

I ended up getting a sound base that the tv sits on, there are plenty of different sound settings to adjust.
The room is an odd shape so a surround system with separate speakers wasn't feasible for me.
The standard tv speakers are pretty useless due to modern tv's being so thin.
Community Veteran

I'm happy with the sound on my old banger TV.
But some old programs that have been poorly digitised do suffer from "jet engine" noise on their sound.
RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The two Samsung TVs I've experienced in the past 2.75 years (D8000 and HU7500) have acceptable sound for 'thin' sets, although there is nowhere near the quality and range of the Philips FatBack set that I owned before them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I must admit that although I am slightly deaf in one ear, my Sony TV has no issues, I just have to have the sound up a little from what SHMBO listens to (30 vs 27)
I used to use a 5.1 amp but it developed a nasty noise occasionally when listening to movies so it has been off for a few years.
I don't watch much/any live tv, usually stuff from my collection, or streaming radio. For radio use I have a separate little amp that drives 2 bookshelf speakers from the analogue o/p on my android tv box (used to be my raspberry pi running xbmc)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

My Samsung TV (T27B550EW) has reasonably decent sound, a lot of people complain about their TV not sounding good, but that's mostly cos they haven't been through the menus to adjust their TV's Equaliser to suit their room and their hearing, a useful feature on modern TVs... Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I use a Pioneer soundbar... (..in the sale at the moment at tesco..http://www.tesco.com/direct/panasonic-sc-htb8-80w-soundbar-with-bluetooth/687-9932.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=687-9932&ui=mercury&sc_cmp=pcp_GSF_TV%20%26%20Home%20Cinema_687-9932&icid=spiffy_soundbar_687-9932_soundbar  ....NOT £99 - instore £69 I think).
It only has 2 settings .. Surround and  clearvoice, plus bluetooth. Fantastic quality. And the clearvoice is exactly that.... Smiley Smiley