cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soul Music

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Soul Music

Anyone listening to the series “Soul Music” on Radio 4, The stories behind pieces of music with a powerful emotional impact.
This weeks episode is quite poignant and includes an interview with John Illsley
Can be heard here again on iPlayer:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01mqp1r/Soul_Music_Series_14_Brothers_in_Arms/
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Soul Music

Not really into soul myself.. more into techno / trance / anthems etc
This being a great example
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@ Sprite  The radio series is not about 'soul music' per se, but about various pieces of music which touch the soul, or have an emotional impact. eg Amazing Grace, Land of Hope and Glory, Beethoven's 9th.....
I've heard most of the programmes, which are always interesting, and was particularly interested in the one on 'Brothers in Arms', which always gives me a tingly feeling.
Not young enough to know everything
Fixes: 123

I never understood the appeal of Dire Straits and, particularly, Brothers In Arms.
I bought the CD when I got my first CD player back in 1989 and agreed the production and sound was excellent but the music just left me feeling underwhelmed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

I've seen them live at the Sheffield Arena and Mark Knopfler is a very accomplished guitarist with a distinctive style but I much prefer Pink Floyd whose music makes my spine tingle.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
randpwar
Grafter

Would that be the 'later' PF, say, Dark Side of the Moon onwards?  I still like many of the Syd Barrett inspired stuff; I know it was very crazzily experimental but I liked its 'out there'ishness
Fixes: 47

PF and I go back a long way...late 60's onwards.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation