The Royal Navy is know more, I here you say why? This is why:

Sorry Shutter you may want to remove from your Signature:
Get paid by the government to go on cruises...... Join the Royal Navy

If you would like HMS Ark Royal wallpaper or Royal Navy wallpaper Click Here
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Sorry Shutter

Looking at that link has finally put me out of my misery.
I knew we had a carrier called the Arik Royal but years ago I watched a program about the Harrier and the Falklands. I remember the narrator saying that the Ark Royal had just been scrapped.. and they showed a picture of this super size american type carrier.
Now I thought the current carriers were Invincible, Illustrious and something else beginning with I although Invincible might be the wrong name.
So.. your link has finally confirmed things for me - there was a predecessor Ark Royal. So.. my only question now is what happened to it? Dog food tins, fridges/freezers or is it rusting away somewhere?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@okrzynska, Yes there was predecessors:
#1 HMS Ark Royal ?
#2 HMS Ark Royal ?
#3 HMS Ark Royal 1938 - 1941 = 3 Years old  - Was Sunk
#4 HMS Ark Royal 1955 - 1978 = 23 - Years old  - Cut up for scrap
#5 HMS Ark Royal 1981 - 2010 = 29 Years old  - Will be cut up for scrap
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Deleded
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
Yes, it is very sad.... I have just read, that the current surface fleet of 24 is about to be reduced to 19 ships....
so I have changed my sig...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Do they never think about these things being preserved for future generations?
Lets face it, air museums, train museums... they're always big hits. Oh well I'm just the little man, I know nothing about these things. It takes an unqualified MP to know how to handle this type of thing..
@Shutter: While I disagree with war and killing there is absolutely no doubt that we still need our defences and cutting down on the Navy, RAF and Army is pathetic. Our navy used to be 1000 ships+ once and now we're going to have less than 20? It's a joke this country.
The more we cut our defences the more reliant we become on our Nuclear deterrent. The more reliant we become on our Nuclear deterrent the more likely we are to be forced to use it. The more we use it the more we kill. The more we kill the less point there was cutting our defence in the first place.
ARE YOU LISTENING MR CAMERON?

[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  Shouting is not acceptable on this forum and just annoys other posters. Text reduced to a more sensible size mod:end
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

No  Sad
Community Veteran

our government is notorious for it's penny-pinching lack of originality and imagination.  get the money now, the hell with the future.  they have no thought for the morrow, only instant fiduciary gratification.
okrzynska is way ahead of their miniscule curve.  when someone sets up a petition to keep the ark as a playground for the plebs, i'll go sign it.
in the meantime, maybe those who have these things would put a page on facebook, tweet and email incessantly to politicians and enlist the aid of a few of these celebrities, of which we have a plethora.
keep some harriers on it too, so that big and little kids can climb in and imagine.  while we're at it, we want some of those flight simulators to play in.  why should the military have all the fun gear?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Update to the list.
#1 HMS Ark Royal 1587-1638 = 51 Years old -  Was broken up
#2 HMS Ark Royal 1914-1950 = 36  Years old  - In December 1934, she was renamed HMS Pegasus, Was broken up for scrap.
#3 HMS Ark Royal 1938 - 1941 = 3 Years old  - Was Sunk
#4 HMS Ark Royal 1955 - 1978 = 23 - Years old  - Cut up for scrap
#5 HMS Ark Royal 1981 - 2010 = 29 Years old  - Will be cut up for scrap
You can see more on the HMS Ark Royal's Here