cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something that really irritates me

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Something that really irritates me

Is writing in text speak in any other format except text messaging. Over use of inexplicable acronyms without a one-off explanation.in parentheses after the first one.
We do not lack space in these forums it is in my opinion just plain laziness.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
31 REPLIES
thisoldman
Grafter

Re: Something that really irritates me

ok m8 Wink
nadger
Rising Star

Couldn't agree more with your comment, Petlew Roll eyes
There's no excuse for not making correct grammatical use of the English language.
thisoldman
Grafter

pfft
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

That if you don't mind me saying so thisoldman is a classic example of what I was talking about. You can (by past example) write clearly and coherently. Few of the members in this forum were brought up on text, I would guess if your username is to go by neither were you. Please don't insult us with garbage, you might get a more positive result if you at least had a stab at being the word-smith you would have us believe you are.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
thisoldman
Grafter

petlew:  i thank you for the courtesy of your response to my recent post and for the sentiments expressed.
I can understand your disapproval of sms text like communications in here, but having empathised with you, my immediate reaction, perhaps too quickly, was that  there are surely greater things to get upset about in these days of austerity ,unemployment rates soaring, and some of the isuues i tried to explain in the post all hell is...........
To be sure, it is your perogative to rant about anything you like in here, but i somehow feel from having digested most of your posts that you do have some serious and legitimate things to complain about and it would be nice to see these irritations on the forum, as opposed to minor irritations.
You are an astute person, capable of expressing yourself on serious issues.  Reveal to us the real you.
have a nice day  best wishes tom
Fixes: 47

The forum is a text based means of communication and as such should be capable of being read easily by all who wish to.
Using a corrupt version of English makes that more difficult and prone to misinterpretation.
I personally don't approve of it.
We have a perfectly good language...let's use it correctly.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

You mean, I assume, that we're not actually limited to 160 characters per post  Wink

As long as there are a few CHR$32's scattered around Wink Smiley
thisoldman
Grafter

strat you forget that some members have speech/type difficulties and medical difficulties.
Fixes: 104

if that's the case surely a best efforts at a proper english word rather than a sometimes difficult to understand abbreviation would be better?
or should we all start writing in TLA's to make life easier?
Will Moderate For Thanks

@thisoldman No I don't but someone who is dyslexic for example types in a different way from txt speak.
I'm not sure how Midnight Caller's screen reader copes with txt speak and he's dyslexic.
Community Veteran

We also seem to have some difficulties with the correct use of punctuation and capital letters........  Wink
(which makes it more difficult to read)  Cry

Crikey....I'm being snipped at from all sides Sad It's worse than Black Ops in here Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Strat
The forum is a text based means of communication and as such should be capable of being read easily by all who wish to.
Using a corrupt version of English makes that more difficult and prone to misinterpretation.
I personally don't approve of it.
We have a perfectly good language...let's use it correctly.

I am in full agreement with the above statement.
(@strat.... Did you win the conker contest this year, in the school yard?   unfortunately, I was "otherwise engaged" and could not defend my title from previous years)  Roll eyes