Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something not quite right about this

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Something not quite right about this

Experts sentenced to 6 years in prison for insufficiently warning victims
Seven scientists and experts on trial for manslaughter linked to an earthquake in Italy that killed more than 300 people have been convicted and sentenced to six years in prison, a court has ruled.

If they had predicted would anybody have taken any notice?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/10/22/italy-earthquake-scientists-trial.html
How many others could fall fowl of "unintended consequences of their actions"
I'll start a list "no hurricane" Micheal Fish, "no more boom and bust" Gordon Brown, "QE is the solution" Mervyn King...............
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Something not quite right about this

The only actions I can think of affecting poultry are to lay square eggs!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Don't forget the scientists who used to tell us the UK didn't suffer from earth quakes.. We've had a couple up north, a couple down in Dover... houses wrecked...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kmilburn
Grafter

It does appear to be incredibly bizarre, lets hope sense is seen at the first appeal... 
[quote=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20025626]Lawyers have said that they will appeal against the sentence. As convictions are not definitive until after at least one level of appeal in Italy, it is unlikely any of the defendants will immediately face prison.
I wonder how many Italian geologists, vulcanoligists, etc. are now looking for jobs outside Italy!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Since the earthquake was actually an 'act of God', perhaps they should try the Pope for 'Aiding and Abetting'?  Lips are sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Reminds me of that film with Billy Connelly in it where he sues the church for an act of god when his insurers refuse to pay out on his boat that was destroyed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I can see future advice from the Seismology scientists in Italy.
Journalist/politician: "Is there any danger of an earthquake in this region?"
Scientist: "We need to undertake more studies."
Journalist/politician: "Is there no danger from earthquakes in this region?"
Scientist: "We need to undertake more studies."
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

More likely is that they will issue warnings at the slightest indication. After towns have been evacuated several times for no good reason the warnings will be ignored which will render the whole process pointless.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Sprite
Don't forget the scientists who used to tell us the UK didn't suffer from earth quakes.. We've had a couple up north, a couple down in Dover... houses wrecked...

While nothing usually as violent as other parts of the world, Britain has around 200 earthquakes a year see:
http://www.geologyshop.co.uk/ukequakes.htm
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Thats common knowledge NOW but years ago they used to tell us the UK didn't suffer from them. Likewise the UK doesn't have volcanic activity and never has I remember one teacher telling me yet what is Edinburgh castle sat on?  Crazy
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It all depends on what timeframe you're looking at. Also quite a few 'mountains' are actually created by glaciation. When you think in terms of large timescales what we think of is solid, is in actual fact very fluid.
Then there's the fact of everything around us is actually made up of gaps between atoms, and looking even closer, massive gaps between electrons and the nucleus. Anyway, that's a different subject.  Wink