Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something meaty for a change.

Highlighted
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Something meaty for a change.

Fed up with the world and his wife seemingly trying to turn us all in to veggie maniacs, how great to see a programme that grabs the bull by the horns as it were by dishing up some decent viewing.

"The Butcher is an American competition reality series that airs on the History channel. In each episode, four butchers compete in a three-round elimination contest to test their butchering skills, with the overall winner receiving $10,000 and the day's championship title" 

Two weeks back I watched as my son skinned and then 'slow smoke' cooked for most of the day in his BBQ, a great big lump of wild boar - it was utterly delicious and well worth waiting for.

I love a bit of green on my plate and my Mrs make roast spuds to die for, but not without an even bigger bit of meat! 

19 REPLIES 19
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Something meaty for a change.

"Reality" type programs must be very cheap to make,...all you need is a subject, and some participants willing to be filmed for a pittance ( compared to the likes of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, etc etc ) ( or me, even ! ! ) and a film crew.... no real script... so save on script writers... no "location fees"... save it there... no hotel bills for the "cast" as they go home every day...etc etc etc...

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@shutter The cost of all those flies on the wall or gnats over the barbie must be enormous.:2funny:

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

It was not an endorsement of reality shows @shutter it was just and endorsement of change. 

And no flies or gnats over the barbie @Luzern either as the meat we had was being smoked... so it had a lid over it. :wink: 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

PS. :smiley:

A quick check and one source tells me that a 30-minute episode of reality TV show costs approximately $100,000-$500,000 to produce and granted, it’s nowhere near the big budgets of scripted dramas or films, but it's still a lot of dosh.

Community Veteran

@Minivanman  Small beer.... when you consider how much they will rake in, from the tv companies, , and the syndication rights around the world for on line tv and all these other satellite tv stations,

And .... don`t forget, the BBC repeat fees ! ! ! ! ...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Minivanman wrote:

@shutter 

PS. :smiley:

A quick check and one source tells me that a 30-minute episode of reality TV show costs approximately $100,000-$500,000 to produce and granted, it’s nowhere near the big budgets of scripted dramas or films, but it's still a lot of dosh.

Is it really reality tv ?

A number of reality shows appear to have a element of scripted action in them, for example people being humilated for some minor thing  with the aim of adding  'excitement in the show and increase viewing figures'

One can also be left with the wrong impression that the presenters are doing all the work, whilst it's those  you hardly ever see or get a mention that are doing all the grafting.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I suppose it is as it's just about 'ordinary' people and described as "designed to be entertaining rather than informative"

Anyways, the subject makes a nice change - which was the point of the post. :thumbsup:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Meanwhile, in other televisual creations, I remember back when the BBC did a series or two called "Kill it, Cook it, Eat it", where they attached a custom-built studio onto the side of an abattoir, and invited people, from general public, to food experts and anti-meat types, to view the process of slaughtering animals from the moment they walk in to them being served up on a plate...

I personally found that a fascinating show to watch, as they didn't censor anything, it showed the lot, from stunning the animal, bleeding them, and various stages of dissecting them up into what we know as meat, if everyone was shown this process, they'd have a lot more respect for what they eat...

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke wrote:

, if everyone was shown this process, they'd have a lot more respect for what they eat...

I don`t worry or care about the processes involved in getting the food to the market place.... 

food that makes me sick, makes my breath smell of garlic/curry or other strong spicy things, does not get any respect from me at all...

The only food I "respect"   is food that stops me feeling hungry.. therefore it is more "satisfying" than "respected".

Luzern
Seasoned Champion

I reckon one knows what a.n. other's diet is by what comes out his mouth; in too many cases a load of bull.:rolleyes::

One advantage of online forums, is that you  can't smell its stink.:2funny:

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Hands up to being a hypocrite here because I do not think I could slaughter an animal and then butcher it in order to have meat on my plate in any form. But then are not most of us the same?

Steak I like, but not that much. 

Luzern
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman I don't consider you a hypocrite. Modern industrial society does not require us to kill and butcher our own meat. We leave that to others, just as they leave other jobs to us. Put us back, however, to earlier times and, providing we had not died in terror and shock, sheer need would overrule any squeamishness. Moreover. place a man ( or woman), however gentle, in extremis, the in very many cases uncharacteristic deeds will be done.

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

I spent a lot of my childhood on my grandparents' small farm and witnessed the slaughter of animals but it never put me off eating meat.  Looking back, their farm animals were very well treated and had a good life with plenty of food and a warm, dry place to sleep in the winter.

I remember we kids used to take kitchen scraps (potato and vegetable peel etc.) to the sheep and they'd all come running when they saw us since they knew we were bringing them 'delicacies'.  My (considerably younger) sister once said that she wouldn't eat lamb at granny's house because she didn't want to eat a sheep she knew. :laugh:

I sometimes point out to the more 'militant' vegetarians and vegans that if their ancestors hadn't started eating meat, they wouldn't now have a brain large enough to make choices about what to eat.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@Jonpe wrote:

... sheep ... lamb ...

You've got me salivating now ... can't beat a nice succulent hunk of Westcountry or Welsh lamb.  :thumbsup: