cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something for the weekend sir?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Something for the weekend sir?

Gent's, is your barber a female person these days. In this semi-rural area almost in the middle between Watford and Hemel Hempstead, there are maybe 4 or 5 barbers/uni-sex hairdressers. almost all of the "barbers" are women. The one I visit regularly, is very very good (A delightful Cypriot girl) The worst haircut I've had in recent years was by an Italian man. Other than him my hair has been cut by a woman for the last 6 or 7 years. So what brought about this subtle change in what was an exclusively male occupation?
F3
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Something for the weekend sir?

As an "international traveller".... (I`ve been to Wales, Scotland, and the Isle of wight) The best haircut I had was by a young lady in a Glasgow Barber shop.... She was a "cracking bit of crumpet" as the saying used to be, and even if she had made a mess of my hair..... it would have been worth the visit..... the worst two haircuts lately have been local, one by an Italian (Gino would you beleive ! !) and the other by some bloke who was an ancient "biker" , did tattooing as a sideline, and swore most of the conversation about football.... Needless to say, I have never been back to either..... I have since found a "traditional" "one man band "barber shop in the next village, he is about 65 to 70, so will be retiring soon I expect, then I shall have to find another of this dying breed, ...... or  move to Glasgow. Roll eyes Shocked
Cry D2
James
Grafter

Inbetween Hemel and Watford?
Kings Langley?
Community Veteran

I hate getting my hair cut round here - no-one can seem to understand English properly. Which particularly struck home when, after asking for a six on top, I very nearly got spikes instead...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Round here you would probably get a close cropped number 6 
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Quote from: petlew
Gent's, is your barber a female person these days. In this semi-rural area almost in the middle between Watford and Hemel Hempstead, there are maybe 4 or 5 barbers/uni-sex hairdressers. almost all of the "barbers" are women. The one I visit regularly, is very very good (A delightful Cypriot girl) The worst haircut I've had in recent years was by an Italian man. Other than him my hair has been cut by a woman for the last 6 or 7 years. So what brought about this subtle change in what was an exclusively male occupation?
F3

Would the lady be a barberess and the fella barbarous?
Community Veteran

Quote from: Jameseh
Kings Langley?

Yup! the very same.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

The shop I go to for my hair cutting is predominantly staffed by men - there are perhaps two or three ladies who work there. The other five or six are male.
I was always told that if you visit a barbers shop, and there are two staff - always go for the one with the worst haircut.
The one with the worst haircut must've been the one who did the good cut on the other guy. Grin
James
Grafter

Quote from: petlew
Yup! the very same.

Used to go through it on the train every day Smiley
Fixes: 104

I end up in the kitchen penned in by my other half with some sheep shearers...  Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Hemel and Watford?
Kings Langley?

As an "international traveller".

Been there, too ! ! Cheesy Roll eyes Cheesy
Community Veteran

Ah, but you were too busy courting your future wife to notice if it was in the middle of anywhere!!

Community Veteran

Sorry Petlew, don`t know where you got that info from...... was living at Abbots Langley with the first wife, so I knew exactly where I was (all the time....)  Wink  Cool