Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone tell me if i'm wrong..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Someone tell me if i'm wrong..

But I'm sure this is an air raid siren:

It's in a town I used to live in when I was young and to date it is still the only one I have ever seen in any town anywhere.

This got me thinking... I think it was around 2001 I remember hearing that they were going off in one town and nobody knew how to turn them off - possibly worthing?

Anyway, you never see the army out and about climbing up these phone poles so who actually takes care of these things and how on earth do they test them to ensure they're still working when we never hear a sound?

Is there a map of them anywhere?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7 REPLIES
2u2me
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Someone tell me if i'm wrong..

First time I have ever seen one up a pole, I have seen quite a few on building roofs, think they are mains fed so probably a m.o.d electrical contractor maintains,them,bet there`s not that  many volunteers to check that one out though.Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Are these not for flood warnings?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@7up you are wrong !...

@Mook seems to have the answer... check out "Flood warning siren" on google images.....

I found this one quite amusing......  ( 1953 ) ...

http://www.channel4.com/media/images/Channel4/c4-news/2014/February/11/1953/11_floods2_g_w.jpg

I think we have moved on a bit since then....

Original location of pic  https://www.channel4.com/news/uk-weather-storms-1953-floods-norfolk-suffolk-essex

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Mook wrote:

Are these not for flood warnings?

They make the same sounds but seeing as the town in question does not have flooding issues I would find it hard to believe!

Wikipedia wasn't very helpful either but it did mention that we had a system over the country left in place for warning the civilian population of incoming attack until 1993 when it the network was dismantled but apparently a few of them still remain out there.

I might send a FOI email to the council in question to see if they know anything about it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Not just flooding, general emergencies too. The network is now largely dismantled. Interesting history of the UK system, who looks/looked after it, and a script that would have been read out in the case of a national emergency, in the link..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-minute_warning

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I have an idea that years ago in some places they were used to call out auxiliary fireman (before the days of mobiles, pagers etc.).

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@7up - Yes maybe in your case it's not for flooding but as @nozzer says it may simply be a legacy unit from times past.