cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some serious questions re downloading after panorama

thisoldman
Grafter

Some serious questions re downloading after panorama

So, like many of you I watched panorama last night , but i now feel the programme raised more questions than it answered. I do believe one should pay for music dpwnloads etc etc  , but the question goes further than that.
Are all rapidshare videos illegal to download. Can I audio record anything from radio1 ? Can i copy an article from the bbc web site.

In short what can I download legally? and how do I know if something on the web is copyright?
26 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: Some serious questions re downloading after panorama

In theory every time you browse the net you break copyright as your PC makes transient copies of things and stores it in a cache.
Quote from: thisoldman
Are all rapidshare videos illegal to download. Can I audio record anything from radio1 ? Can i copy an article from the bbc web site.

No, You can timeshift but there are limits to how long you can keep it, Not a fully copy Smiley
It's still illegal to put convert CD's you own to put on a music player,
Will Moderate For Thanks
thisoldman
Grafter

well whats the difference between recording to my dvd recorder from top of the pops and downloading the same song form the net.

There must be millions of people who have recorded stuff to their dvd/vhs recorders. Are they all criminals or is it just the web that criminalises you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The copyright law as it stands in the UK is such that you are NOT allowed to copy a lp/cd/video EVEN for your own use, this includes ripping to mp3 to put it on a mp3 player. BUT they have NEVER enforced this law and so millions of people continue doing it, safe in the knowledge that they don't know it is illegal  Crazy
DVD recorders are meant to be transient like PVR's you watch the program at a later date then delete it, like used to be done with video recorders  Tongue
Personally the music and film companies can go and take a running jump if they think I will purchase the same material time and time again in different formats (CD,mp3,Video,DVD,BR ....)
I didn't see the panorama program as they tend to be over hyped these days, and too full of holes in their arguments.
David_W
Rising Star

I found the Panorama episode quite good, it highlighted the need for the government to employ people who know what they are on about.
If this bill is passed it's going to effect youngsters, teenagers to mid 20's, the sort of people who are technically able to get around IP logging by using a proxy.  If it becomes a standard which other countries try to emulate, torrent software will change to combat it with each torrent client not only acting as a peer/seed but also as a proxy so when a person tries to download a file they won't get the real IP but get several IP's who are not downloading the file but are simple proxies.
It's a bad law that will have no effect except to make torrents more secure by default.
Community Veteran

Community Veteran

An interesting programme and as already stated it asked more questions than it answered.  The Bill looks unworkable and was only brought about by the record industry putting some pressure on Mendleson.
It is difficult, however, to argue that an artist should not get paid for performing his works.  Why should individuals be able to get the work for free.
thisoldman
Grafter

artmo i fully agree with your sentiments, but the key essential point im trying to make is that the whole subject of copyright is a minefield.

For example: why are they targeting net applications ? What about all the millions of people who have recorded top of the pops on their  vhs/dvd recorders?
What about all the people who use a sound recorder program to record music from tv?
what about all the students/academic researchers who need to download material from the web?
what about the amount of material google collects  including their stupid street view?
can anyone define privacy?
Community Veteran

thisoldman,  you make some valid points and ask some relevant questions.  There are a lot of gray areas but I don't think there is any doubt that if you have composed or performed a piece of music then you have a right to expect to be paid for its use. 
Community Veteran

technology changes faster than legislation can deal with
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Can't understand why the government are making this such a priority.......Like most other people I could suggest a long list of things that are more urgent that this !
It was also interesting to note that some performers were not in favour of legislation as the internet allowed them to have immediate contact with their audience rather than through a record company or Radio. if they issue a few tracks free and you like their music you might be inclined to pay a small fee to download further tracks.
No one can work for nothing but equally some people (not necessarily the musicians) have made a killing out of the music industry.
Community Veteran

still no-one makes mention of the secondhand market.  all my books, clothes, music and software can be sourced from secondhand sellers.  the originators get nothing.  will they try to ban secondhand?  i don't think so.
it's time the media moguls had a think about a new business model and stopped whining.  it's not the government's business to protect commercial enterprises.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

If i remember correctly, illegal downlaods are costing the Music Industry £200 million per yer, if thats the case, does anyone know what they actuall make in a year?
I would hazard a guess that the £200m is a drop in the ocean compared to the actual profits being made here
Community Veteran

That is, of course, making the assumption that  1 download = 1 lost sale.
Unfortunately, quite a lot of people who download will *never* buy, and a lot of people who download *do* buy,  so the premise doesn't stand up.
B.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

How will these people detect an illegal download?
What's to stop me getting "illegal" downloads via a proxy server?
It's only illegal in the sense of a civil case - it's not actual criminally illegal (like speeding). Cheesy