cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some reasonable service for a change

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Some reasonable service for a change

I've had an Amcor portable air-con machine for a couple of years, that has always been rather noisy. At the end of the hot weather last year it was making a dreadful clanking noise, was switched off with a view to getting it fixed during the winter, which of course was promptly forgotten until yesterdays very hot weather, the machine was switched on, and after a few minutes when the air-con kicked in and the second of the two fan units started-up the noise returned worse than ever.
In desperation, I called the UK Amcor offices (in west London) and after no more than 30 seconds and two operators, was put through to an engineer, who diagnosed the fault over the phone (a fairly common broken fan) asked if I was mechanically minded, if so, it was a reasonable DIY job to do it myself, and so it proved to be, having confirmed the fault, I called back directly to the same engineer, who ordered the part for delivery in a couple of days.
I wonder how many other companies would be reaching for the call out diary to ensure an engineer calls at some exorbitant cost, to do a job I could easily do myself.
I fully appreciate, that the non-mechanical would be at a disadvantage here, But it was a pleasant change to be treated like a human being for a change in a situation like this. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
14 REPLIES
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Re: Some reasonable service for a change

Sorry to be cynical but is it a case that they need to have a good repair service because they have a great deal of trouble?
I wonder if it would be better if their products lasted a bit longer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Wish I had the same kind of service from the manufacturer of the Power Supply (ac/dc adaptor) for my wife`s laptop..... sent them an email from their website, and gave all the details, s/no date of purchase , etc etc. and asked for a replacement as it should still be under warranty, (except Evesham Computers no longer deal with warranties) (hence going direct to mfctrs) this is the reply I got back
Hi,
Please try www.laptopspares.com
Regards

or to put it another way........  tough luck mate.... sort it out yourself.
Sent an email back saying I was not impressed...
So if you get good service then don`t knock it.... applaud it , and spread the word....
N/A

On a similar subject, does anybody else have problems with tradesmen who don't turn up? I needed a painter and decorator - one turned up, promised to telephone with the estimate that evening but didn't bother. It is no problem if he doesn't want the job (which wasn't too arduous), but why not say so, or even better, why waste time coming anyway?
Next one should have come today, room emptied and ready for action - didn't arrive. After telephoning him he had 'forgotten'.  Have therefore cancelled his services and are seeking yet another workman.
If this was a one-off I wouldn't be over concerned but it is becoming depressingly familiar. I am now at the stage where I actually don't expect people to follow through with their promises.  I am seeking a strategy to deal with this without being rude so any suggestions are welcome.
BTW I haven't got two heads and am usually pretty hospitable to anyone who does work for me - I even had the air-conditioning turned on in the (empty) room this morning as it was a hot day and I thought that the painter would be more comfortable.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

poppy,
Please don't get upset if this seems rude.
Have you tried Age Concern?
I think that they do have lists of reliable people.
jmd
Grafter

Good service should certainly be applauded!
Earlier in year I wanted some heavy work done in garden and rang 5 gardening companies locally - only 1 arrived to do estimate and the job!
I just wonder why some advertise service they do not want to give. Sad
N/A

Bob - comment not rude at all and it is a good suggestion which I hadn't thought of. Have stored it away to remember next time. Meanwhile, yet another painter has been this afternoon and has said he will come on Friday so fingers crossed.
jmdlp - my experiences are obviously not unique!  Also, friends have reported the same thing - as you say, why bother to advertise if they can't be bothered to turn up and put the effort in.  I find that hanging around waiting for them to call is particularly irritating.
It's no wonder this country needs folk from other countries to do the work.
Community Veteran

@shutter
I have an Evesham laptop and needed a screen cable for it.
My laptop was actually manufactured by Mitac who use another company for supply of parts for the laptops
Long story short, I got my cable from this company
Easyrepair UK Ltd
Unit 3, Stafford Park 17, Telford, Shropshire, TF3 3DG
Tel:+ 44 (0)952 292 225  Fax:+44 (0)870 389 8821
www.easyrepairuk.com
I ordered the part, they sent me a proforma invoice, I paid it and the cable arrived within a couple days.
I would contact them and see if they have a charger for your laptop. They will need the model and serial number
Let me know if you want to try them and I will PM you a contact name there and her email address.
BTW, might I suggest you try your charger in another laptop if possible to eliminate a problen with the laptop itself.
This happened with my wife's laptop It appeared the charger wasn't working, I tried it in my daughters machine and the charger was ok. I had to get the internal connection in the laptop repaired and it worked fine after that. Might be worth trying before you fork out the cash!
I hope this helps you
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I had that same problem in one of my previous laptops, the power socket had overheated and burnt the corner of the circuit board, had to solder in a fly lead and external socket.
Over to you Gerry
Community Veteran

Quote from: petlew

I wonder how many other companies
would be reaching for the call out diary to ensure an engineer calls at some exorbitant cost, to do a job I could easily do myself.

I take your point Bob, and quite possibly the fan centre boss (the phenolic cylindrical multi-vane type) was broken, or at least cracked from new, which proceeded to get worse, until it broke entirely, but sadly I can't prove this to make some kind of warranty claim. However the engineer went through a fairly comprehensive check list before arriving at the fan as the most likely source of the noise. To be fair on me, I suspect I could have told him that judging by the noise, but I didn't want to second guess him. I actually In contrary to my usually cynical way, ended up being quite impressed with his attention to detail.
They could have done none of this except quote me £XXX for a call out by a service engineer.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pd
Grafter

I had a similar experience to Petlew a few years ago when my electric shower started leaking.
The local dealers didn't want to know as it was by then an obsolete model.  All they wanted to do was sell me a new one, but I wasn't prepared to spend £100 or so without exploring the possibility of a repair. 
A search on the net turned up The Shower Doctor in Edinburgh.  I gave them a ring and the engineer there spent about ten minutes on the phone with me and went through all the possibilities and came up with a replacement part which arrived next morning and cost no more than about £10 including postage.
About half an hours work to strip the shower down and it was working as good as new again, well it was actually better, because the engineer also told me how to adjust the pressure, something which had never been done when it was first installed.
I would recommend them to anybody.
It seems today we live too much in a throw-away society rather than repairing anything.
Peter

Community Veteran

Just to bring you up to date on the Laptop PSU..... ordered it from the guy on Ebay yesterday, so hopefully it will be here in a day or two....  (cost £14.99 + 4.99 P&P)  Smiley
Community Veteran

Just to conclude my part in this; the part was ordered Tuesday 10th, arrived yesterday afternoon 111th, I fitted it this morning (12th) A bit fiddly, but nothing too severe...working beautifully (and quietly) with enough parts left over to make a wrist-watch!!
Saved either £50+parts+VAT etc. or minimum £250 for a new machine depending how you look at it, all because of one helpful company service dept.

Community Veteran

And another update.... PSU arrived this morning, superbly packed. Excellent service.
Smiley(and it worked, straight out of the box too!)  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Teds31
Grafter

Had a new shower fitted last Nov this packed up last week got onto the installers and they sent a man next day,job done part fitted no charge.Perhaps the British workman isnt as bad as some think.