cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some questions for the moderators

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Some questions for the moderators

This is a quote from Dvorak from another thread on here...
Moderators Note.
Sad times that once again a thread has descended into the type of talk not welcome on this forum and as such the thread is locked.
One wonders if some of you will ever learn.

How is the moderation process done? Is it real-time or is it done in chunks every so often?
If certain posts are becoming offensive, why not deal with them as they occur rather than deleting them and locking the thread? Does deleting parts of the thread completely remove evidence of "misdemeanors"?
Does the "Report to Moderator" button actually work? If several people use it for the same item(s) does it reinforce the "policing" function?

Only asking because I am interested and I think it's important that we all understand what constitutes unacceptable behaviour and how it will be dealt with.   Smiley
71 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Some questions for the moderators

How is the moderation process done? Is it real-time or is it done in chunks every so often?

The moderators on this forum are customers that volunteer their time, so will not be available all of the time.
If certain posts are becoming offensive, why not deal with them as they occur rather than deleting them and locking the thread?

Moderating threads like the recent Syrian debate can be very difficult. The moderators role is to ensure that these forums provide a safe and friendly place for all.
Their role is not to censor and must remain impartial when moderating. Snap decisions are best avoided, so there may be some discussion in the background on the best way to moderate such threads.
Does deleting parts of the thread completely remove evidence of "misdemeanors"?

Posts are not deleted by the moderators, they are just remove from public view. So as you put it the "evidence of misdemeanour's," remains viable to the  Moderators (and Staff).
Also when removing posts, the moderators will contact the poster to explain their action, along with the reasons why.
Does the "Report to Moderator" button actually work? If several people use it for the same item(s) does it reinforce the "policing" function?

Yes it does work, the moderators are notified. The volume of reports does not effect the outcome, all reports are reviewed on their merit to a set of guidelines.

The moderators and the processes they use on this forum are some of the most professional you will find on internet forums.
The Forum rules are clearly published. And the moderators work to a set of guidelines to sure that the rules are applied consistently and fairly to all users.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Chilly
The moderators on this forum are customers

and therein lies the problem IMO.
but that'll probably be deemed "off topic".
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Why is that a problem (IYO)?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

well there has been similar discussion previously.
but, for me, a business should not be using customers to police their own products.
this forum is clearly a customer facing section of the plusnet support function.
to have customers "manage" that is, IMO, not a sensible way to run a business.
something a customer does to moderate the forum can have an impact on public perception of the business.
you could end up with a moderator who becomes "rogue" and starts to apply their own agenda.
of course, you also end up with cliques among the forum members.
only employees of the company (which means they have accountability) should have moderation/admin privileges of any public facing function.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@w23
He'd rather posts which were openly critical of Plusnet were locked or just disappeared (like the BT staff moderated forums).
He also thinks there should be a total free for all after 5pm until the next morning and the whole weekend when it's likely there would be no staff about to take action.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

i said neither of those things spoon whittler.
but lets try to keep it on topic
Community Veteran

The moderators role is to ensure that these forums provide a safe and friendly place for all.
Their role is not to censor and must remain impartial when moderating. Snap decisions are best avoided, so there may be some discussion in the background on the best way to moderate such threads.

Emphasis on "safe and friendly" perhaps not quite applied strongly enough then? Surely the least hassle route would be to just delete posts which have the potential to be contentious? No censorship that way, just a non-event! Most people wouldn't even see them and I would have thought that if it keeps the conversations polite and on topic they wouldn't be missed. No need to give reasons for deletion.
That's the way that many other forums are managed.
Community Veteran

@chenks76
How many times does it have to be said that these forums are not an official support route?
Years ago a Plusnet member of staff started changing posts without approval of either the people who made the posts or the moderators. There was an almighty row and ever since then the customer moderation policy has been applied rigorously.
I suppose you also oppose the CISAS role and think that all disputes between Plusnet and customers should only be handled by Plusnet.
Having the moderation independent of Plusnet (although running to rules agreed with Plusnet and Plusnet being the final arbiters in the event of a disagreement with moderator action) is a tremendous advantage. We can be far more openly critical when needed.
Community Veteran

Quote from: chenks76
i said neither of those things spoon whittler.

But if you engaged the grey matter for just a moment you'd realise those were the inevitable consequences of your suggestion.
Community Veteran

please refrain from the personal attacks - they are against the forums rules.
Quote from: spoon
How many times does it have to be said that these forums are not an official support route?

plusnet disagree with you, otherwise why link to them on their support page?
http://www.plus.net/help/
Community Veteran

Quote from: chenks76
but, for me, a business should not be using customers to police their own products.

These forums are not a `product` but a community of customers.
As Jelv said we don't want a PlusNet run forum. We (the community) what an open free forum, where we can discuss PlusNets products openly.
I believe the professionalism of the moderators and the engagement from PlusNet gives us one of the best community forums on the web.
The moderators are accountable for their actions, and would be removed if they don't follow the guidelines that are in place.
Community Veteran

Butbutbut...  it didn't work recently did it?  Angry
I don't see how it can if it's done on an almost "casual" basis.
Fixes: 102

Perhaps it's the open nature of chit chat that is the issue, the simplest solution is to remove it in its entirety.
Talk talk have specific sub forums for things like films, tv etc. BT, from what I can see, don't have any.
You can't have the freedom of chit chat without the responsibility of thinking about what is posted.
I also see that there is a lot of moaning about specks in other peoples eyes without posters seeing the planks in their own.
I'm more than happy to remove any leeway and slack that has been given, it would certainly make the moderators lives easier.
But it would also have a detrimental impact to the forum as a whole.
In theory this whole thread could be removed and another started today as they breach the forum rule:
If you ever have reason to question the actions of a moderator you should try and resolve your issue directly with the moderation team via Private Message (PM)

so are you sure that's what you want?
It's also apparent that some users don't think I'm around much, which isn't the case - it just doesn't show when I'm online on the forum page and the option is available to each of you.
If you're unhappy with the moderating team and wish there to be changes that is your prerogative as the community to make that known by contacting PN.
I would not want to be where I am not wanted.
Will Moderate For Thanks
nanotm
Pro

so your rational is that some people should be prevented from posting because they have a different opinion or point of view  to others ?
I see posts regularly claiming that a lively discussion is wanted but those same people regularly deviate threads from the top under discussion to pick arguments or poke fun at others then claim to be offended when there called for it.
you either want a discussion or you all want to agree on a fixed politically correct point of view you cant have both things.

@dvorak
I think you do a great job and you probably should of given me a ban from posting in chitchat for my own good after letting myself get dragged down the rabit hole again /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you