cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some people!

Devonian
Grafter

Some people!

Minding my own business, doing my job today, I was driving around rural North Devon, and pulled into a pull in by a field gate to have a quick cuppa.
The lane I was stopped in is hardly used, I travel up it most days and don't see a vehicle.
I drive a high top, jumbo Sprinter, it is my pride and joy, as I am self employed and own it.
Nearly a year old, not a scratch on her.
Any way, I jumped in the back to sort the rest of my deliveries, when I heard an engine reving, and then the van rocked violently.
I jumped out the van, to see the rear corner of  a BMW disappear around the corner.
I checked the van to find a big scrape, the length of the van, the drivers door dented and the rear quarter panel pushed in...  the idiot had scraped the whole length of my van.
I jumped in the drivers seat, turned around, and chased down the road.
I could see the car in the distant, so I put my foot down, at the same time I was on the phone to the police.
I even caught up with the car, and I could see 2 grey heads in the front.
I flashed my lights, and eventually he pulled into a layby to le me past, so I pulled in closed to the front and went to have a few choice words with the driver.
The driver, and his wife, both in their 80s and from the Midlands told me they didn't even notice they hit my van.
They were even more surprised to see the damage to the side of their own vehicle.
Any way, PC Dibble turned up, and immediately breathalised ME.
He then asked the elderly couple if they were ok, and if I had been aggressive towards them!
Umm, hello Constable... I called you.. I am the victim, I have had my vehicle damaged through no fault of my own.
He then came over to me, and asked why I was stopped where I was, I told him I was pulled completely off the road, and as he was attached to Lynton Police Station, he would know the lane has little use.
He then told me that being a courier, I have to expect to have these 'little scrapes' from time to time, and that no body was to blame!
I then asked him how anybody could not only scrape the whole side of a large white vehicle without knowing it, drive away from the scene of an accident, and not see a large stationery vehicle in the first place.
I also asked why the driver wasn't breathalised 
I then asked why I was being given the third degree, whilst the other driver wasn't.
The Constable told me that the other driver has been driving for 55 years and has a clean licence, but I am a courier, and couriers have a track record of dangerous driving.
I told him I have seen police officers driving much more dangerously than I ever have, and that he is not paid to make judgement, he is paid to be impartial and work on the facts presented.
Anyway, in the end his sergeant turned up, the other driver was given a summons for dangerous driving, and I was given a producer!
Oh, and I have also got to rent another van, whilst I have mine in the body shop being repaired, which is going to cost around 2k.
With the price of my insurance, it will cost far to much to make a claim, so it looks like I'm working for free for a couple of weeks!
Any way, rant over.  Crazy
29 REPLIES
Fixes: 123

Re: Some people!

Why are you not claiming against the elderly driver's insurance? Although no other witness the summons and police evidence will certainly work in your favour.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Thats awful luck Dev, I'm really gutted to hear this has happened to you.
It's a good job the sarge turned up otherwise the old couple might of been let off the hook completely.
Why did they give you a producer though?
You should go to the police station and make a formal complaint about their service. Granted you won't be popular for it but you might get some sort of apology.
There is also a knack to dealing with police officers, STAY TOTALLY CALM. The calmer you are, the more it does one of two things: 1) Unnerves them 2) Reassures them that you're not at fault. The moment you show the slightest sign of frustration thats it - they'll decide you're a problem instead. Trust me, I've seen this time and time again and having had to deal with the fuzz a few times over various things they can be a prickly bunch to deal with when you're wound up about something. Stay calm, write a letter stating the facts, use google maps for screenshots of your location, google earth shots of the layby and then drop the letter in to the police station addresses to the station / area commander.
As for insurance, claim via the elderlys insurance. They did the damage, there is no need for you to take the dent on your policy (they'd temporarily take your NCD, an excess, sort it out, refund you etc). If you go through the other parties insurance their insurers have to deal with it all.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Devonian
Grafter

Because it has been classed as a no fault accident.
Me claiming against them, leaves the door open for them to claim against my public liability, which will put up my no claims, cause all manner of paper work and time.
So I told the other driver I will get the damage repaired and send them the invoice.  Hopefully he decides to be decent about it and pays up, if not, well sometimes its easier to bite the bullet and get over it so to speak.
Devonian
Grafter

They gave me a producer because the area is notorious for no GSM signal, which also knocks out police communication.
He didn't have any signal, so he couldn't check my insurance on the police computer.
The other fella get a producer to.
The Sergeant only appeared because he happened to be passing.
It's all such a PITA, and it made me an hour late!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Devonian
Because it has been classed as a no fault accident.

Rubbish there is a fault and it's the other drivers.
Dev don't let this go mate, you're not in the wrong - they are. I know you might think it's hassle but why on earth should you take the hit because the police say the other party is not at fault for hitting you while you're in the back of your van? - They need a reality check.
Like I said, write a long detailed letter to the force and ask for an explanation.
Devonian
Grafter

Yep I know you're right, of course you are.
I was planning on popping into the Lynton Police Station tomorrow, but maybe I should type out a complaint over the weekend.
It's more the fact that my van has been damaged.. it took 3 years to get the money together, so I love her like a puppy!
Community Veteran

Like I said, get screen shots of the location from google too to backup your story. Don't let this go Dev, you worked hard for your van and some old **** in a BMW thinks they're king of the road and can damage it scot free? Stuff that!
You make sure you fight this all the way Dev. You worked hard for that van, you should not be expected to take this sort of treatment for doing an honest job.
Devonian
Grafter

I've got plenty of photos, and my phone adds a geo tag to the pictures. (I don't know how to stop it.  Grin)
At least the damage to the beamer was fairly expensive, the bumper was misaligned, the front wing was pushed in, the head light was cracked, and there were deep scratches along the length of the car.
CX
Grafter

At least the damage to the beamer was fairly expensive, the bumper was misaligned, the front wing was pushed in, the head light was cracked, and there were deep scratches along the length of the car.

...and yet they had no idea they did it.
Either
a) they're arrogant [Censored] who think they're entitled to do whatever they like to "van-driving scum".
or
b) they've reached the point of dangerous and negligent driving, either due to eyesight or mental abilities, that their family should consider having "the talk" about driving.
Had the timing being different you could well have found yourself splattered between your drivers door and a BMW's front bumper.
As for the police response, I'm at a loss for words. Maybe they live in the same upper-class village, where they complain about outsiders wanting to build new homes or outsiders kids spraying graffiti (because their precious little privileged runts couldn't possibly be guilty). To them, you're just scum, and were dealt with appropriately.
Devonian
Grafter

Well he said he felt a bump, and thought it was his wheels against the grass verge, which  granted, is about 10 inches or so high.
As for the police, Lynton Police Station, I think this link says it all really.
Have you seen Hot Fuzz?  Cheesy
http://neighbourhoodpolicing.devon-cornwall.police.uk/BCU-1663/Sector-1762/NB-1771/Pages/default.asp...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Have you seen Hot Fuzz?  Cheesy

One of my favourite films.
Good luck and don't accept that it was a 'no fault' incident.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 47

About 3 years ago a relative of mine was hanging out some washing on a communal washing line when another resident came out and told her to take her washing down.
My relative refused, the woman verbally abused her, went back inside and called the police.
2 PCSOs visited the woman's house and then came to my relatives house and arrested her, taking her to the police station (I had to go down to her house and take her 4 year old son to mine).
She spend a couple of hours at the police station and was the released after being given a fine.
Later the following day she spoke to a police sergeant who advised her to make a formal complaint.
She didn't make the formal complaint or pay the fine and has heard nothing since.
3 weeks after the incident the woman moved away after having 'disagreements' with other neighbours.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
WTF
Grafter

Quite a few years ago, while we were out of the country on vacation, some eejit speeding down our road lost control of his car, hit a parked car shunting it into my girl friend's car then destroyed the wall and gate of our block of flats.
A week or two later we got a letter from the eejit's insurance company that started "We understand you were responsible for an accident that damaged our client's vehicle on .."  Shocked
Basically, the insurance company was trying it on  Roll eyes
Needless to say, we wrote back a stinker of a letter and in the end, they paid up.
We were kinda lucky as we had pretty indisputable evidence that we could not have been responsible.  Unfortunately - and really, really annoyingly - Dev's problem is that, without the old boy admitting fault, he has no proof of what actually happened.  The old boy is clearly denying responsibility: if he's pepared to lie about that, I'm going to guess he's not going to do the right thing and fork over 2 grand for Dev's repairs.
'Some people' doesn't really cover it  Angry
Community Veteran

Unfortunately WTF you are right. Dev is going to have to get the police to do the right thing and release recordings of the phone call he made to them too.