cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some insurance claim help required.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Some insurance claim help required.

On 4th November I made a claim against my house insurance, for water escape in the kitchen. The drain had come off the sink flooding the unit area, not noticed imediatly.
They agreed that the claim was valid (after a surveyor came to check it), and passed the claim to a claim handling group, saying it would be FASTER AND EASIER for me.
So the builder came on Mon 9/11 (at 8PM) to view the damage.
That was it till 16/12 when after much complaining from me someone came to check the dampness level (NB 6 WEEKS later). They lifted the laminate flooring and said yes it was dry. Leaving me with a 2 level floor.
Then to quote Monty Python Nothing HAPPENED.
I am told someone will be with me on 11/1.
11/1 builder arrives to remove the kitchen unit and flooring. Fits some chipboard under hole where kitchen unit was. Leaves kitchen now has 4 different levels of floor.
12/1 drying company returns, surprise the floor is STILL DRY.
18/1 I ask when they are coming to fix it.
20/1 I get a call from builder trying to cadge my excess before they arrive. I refuse saying I will pay the excess when and only when they arrive as agreed on 9/11. Can't give me a start date.
20/1 I get fed up complaining to claim handlers and raise a complaint with my insurance company by email
21/1 I get a call from insurance company and tell them again what I said online.
21/1 I get a call from builder they are coming on 22/1 ... what yesterday they didn't have a start date.
22/1 builder arrives (40min late from start time) work done, looks OK.
5pm wife shouts that we have water all over the kitchen floor again.
Mop up and find source of leak, the u-bend (new as I replace the old leaking piping completely) is leaking water onto the shelf, and down the back of the unit.
Try to fix, but o-ring is damaged, visit B&Q and get new o-ring but still leaking. Phone emergency help line, can't help me as this is an insurance claim. Emailed claim handlers (my only point of contact) but nothing heard today.
So over 11 WEEKS from start to now, 5 weeks with an uneven floor. I have asked for some compensation from both companies involved over the time taken to do the repair. But I am just fed up with the whole thing now. This new leak just makes me mad, the sink unit was working perfectly till they layed the floor and put the new unit in place. (The dishwasher was on rise when he arrived and so they know it wasn't leaking as all the hoses go in above the u-bend using this trap)
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Some insurance claim help required.

You could threaten to go to the ombudsman maybe he can help.
Community Veteran

Did that in Dec with the handling company when nothing had been done for a month, and this week with the insurance company.
Got a letter today from the insurance saying they were investigating.
Just left an email with the handling company saying I am going to buy a new trap and charge them for it as we can't be without washing facilities for the whole weekend. New cost will be higher as I am going to B&Q since it is 4 miles away where as Screwfix is 40miles away.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: artmo
You could threaten to go to the ombudsman maybe he can help.
A better option might be the county court, if you go down that path take photographs of the work done and a ruler in the photos to show how much the floor is out.
Before taking that step I would contact those who did the work giving them a final opportunity to put it right within a certain time and if t hey fail to do so you will employ some one else to do the job and get them to reinburse you for the cost, plus added costs for your time and court fees.
Community Veteran

The floor is no longer out, it was out for 5 weeks while the work was in stasis.
I have just got back from B&Q with a new trap and fitted it and all is OK again.
But the "old" (less than a week) one has a blip on the down spout when it joins the u-bend. See attachment.
Obviously forced at one point.