Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some good news for a change

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Some good news for a change

Some good news for a change as the UK government announces a billion pound contract for a fleet of warships to be built in this country.

And about time... but will we have to import the steel to make them?

skynews-babcock-royal-navy_4771957.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Some good news for a change

@Minivanman  Does that matter?    when they were designing and building H.M.S. Dreadnought, in the early 1900s  they specified that the armour plating would be from Krupps Steel...

So long as the government dont renage on the program, hopefully, we will have a Navy that can be truly called the ROYAL Navy...  ( remember, the original contract for the Daring class destroyers was for 12 ships. that was soon after, cut back to only 6 ships...  )

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

What matters (and correct me if I'm wrong) but as with coal, it's question of the right type?

Krupps were well known for their high quality steel even back then, and back when nothing but the best was good enough for the British Navy. During the second world war the Bismark was ringed with something like a five inch thick belt of steel... from Krupps.

Still got sunk though. Thumbs Up  

So again correct me if I'm wrong, but it does matter. No point in using rolled steel for tin cans produced at Port Talbot here in Wales is there.

Perish the thought eh.   

Community Veteran

I am sure that the Naval Architects, will know the right type of steel to order for each particular part or area of the ships they are designing. and will be able to advise which country/steel maker/steel supplier whether from the UK, or abroad..

so, no, it does not matter where the steel comes from...  all that matters is that it is the correct type, and that the ships are built in the UK to UK specifications.

Just as in the building trade... architects specify the type of concrete, or other building materials. it does not matter if the bricks come from Belgium, and the timber comes from Canada.... and ... even if the slates come from China...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Indeed, and in the same way they specified what quality of rivets were to be used on the Titantic but costs decreed a lower quality... and we all know what happend there.

Architects eh, what do they know. Wink

Community Veteran

Hmm.... seems to me that you know best.... so better get your drawing board operational, and your pencils sharpened... as you have an appointment with the Admiralty Board, to design and build the new warships..

No arguing.... just get on with it .... NOW !...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

Where did I even hint that I knew best?

I'd be hard put to design a tin can let alone a Type 31 warship.... I do have a pencil though. Smiley

Community Veteran

Excellent ! .

Community Veteran