cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some common sense for once!

Community Veteran

Some common sense for once!

[quote="Lord Young"]Frankly if I want to do something stupid and break my leg or neck, that’s up to me. I don’t need a council to tell me not to be an idiot. I can be an idiot all by myself.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11454241
And for those who have a certain other preferred choice for their news source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1316983/At-An-end-elf-n-safety-madness-meddling-officials-face-fines-ban-events.html Wink
9 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Some common sense for once!

well some parents do need watching
http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/archive/2010/09/30/Gazette+News+%28ev_gazette_news%29/84245...
Why have there been 27 accidents in play area?

A MOTHER whose daughter was injured at a play area in Great Notley has criticised the number of accidents there.

my pic below
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@pierre, That Photo of an obstacle course looks a lot like the one that the army made for my old School, at the bottom of the bank.
May I use that Photo on my old School web site?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

pierre_pierre
Grafter

a couple of older ones
Community Veteran

that playground looks like a lot of fun.  at my primary school we had a 'jungle jim' made of tubular steel, much like scaffolding, set into a concrete base.  i don't recall any serious accidents happening and we were on the thing at every opportunity.
the woman in the story mentions 27 accidents - that's out of how many using the facilities?
scrapes, bumps and grazes are part of the learning and growing experience.  when i came off my little wooden cart on wheels steered with a bailing-string loop and grazed my thigh from knee to hip on the gravel, i was sore for a week or so and learned a valuable lesson in what not to do when going downhill at speed in a rickety cart with imperfect controls.
if we cannot test our mettle, how do we find our limitations?
avalon
Grafter

When I was little we had a play park near the scheme I lived with the high swings, high slides, big wood and metal roundabout, and high climbing frame.  All set in concrete bases.    We played there all the time and had loads of fun.  I never heard of anyone dying or losing a limb using the park.  (Though with the speed we spun the roundabout and the clearance under the step it may be more luck than anything that no-one lost a limb on the roundabout)
Roll on a few years and the first creepings of health and safety had arrived.  The big slide, swings, climbing frame,  etc. had been replaced with little ones.  The roundabout had been replaced with a smaller one with no platform to stand on.  The areas below were covered with a ground up rubberised material.  I was a little too old for playing there by this time, but there were small children still playing there.  Still no-one had died or lost a limb.
By my early twenties all the play equipment had been removed and the whole area returfed.  If you passed it today you'd never know children had ever had any fun there.  To add insult to injury they then stuck a big signpost in the middle saying "No Ball Games".
Don't get me wrong I agree there is a place for sensible Health and Safety and injury compensation legislation, but currently it has gone far too far and is ruining this country.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they had to shut one of the features, a bit like a maypole, with a roundabout base, one "Adult" spun it roundf fast and a girl fell off and broke both wrists, the "ADULT"  walked off and left here, the "Parents" turned up just after and took here to the center about half mile away.
The paper accident report said climbing frame, dont think so,  the locals call the paper, "Brainless and Witless"
The park is very well attended, despite the £3 per car park, but for the facilities is a cheap day out
Community Veteran

Quote from: me

By my early twenties all the play equipment had been removed and the whole area returfed.  If you passed it today you'd never know children had ever had any fun there.  To add insult to injury they then stuck a big signpost in the middle saying "No Ball Games".
A contributing factor to rising childhood obesity.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

That play park looks a lot of fun for the children.
Quote from: me
Don't get me wrong I agree there is a place for sensible Health and Safety and injury compensation legislation, but currently it has gone far too far and is ruining this country.

To true.  Angry