Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Obese People may now be classified as Disabled

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Some Obese People may now be classified as Disabled

The European Court of Justice has ruled obesity can now be classed as a disability in some circumstances.
If a person's weight hinders 'full and effective participation' at work then it can count as a disability, judges yesterday ruled

A disability, to me,  usually means the disabled person has no control over being disabled, such as from birth, as the result of an accident, or severe illness, for example.
Important to the landmark ruling is the EU court's judgment that the origin of the disability is irrelevant – even if someone's obesity is caused by overeating.

I do find that the majority of people I see parking in a Disabled car parking spot, who do not posses a disabled parking badge, is indeed overweight !
Usually in a large SUV type vehicle, to carry their large frame.
Which makes me think, if they parked in a normal spot, and walked just that little bit further, they may not be as obese.
Can't walk, or won't walk, yet their Doctor does not consider them Disabled.
That really annoys me. However, in at least one local Supermarket, they do clamp down on such misuse

In Florida, in Walt Disney World, it is amazing just how many extremely obese Americans are riding around in mobility scooters, the American version.
It is annoying that, for example, the WDW Shuttle buses, which all appear to have hydraulic lowering entrances, which takes time, just to allow some over large person to drive their scooter onto the bus.
Of course, one doesn't mind when an actually disabled person joins the bus, you have probably already chatted to them whilst waiting for the Shuttle, and so understand their needs.

What does it mean in the UK, well probably if you are really obese, you will not be offered employment, or may be eased out before such a law is enacted over here.
I'm all for giving Disabled people every help they can get, I do appreciate their daily struggles, and having to also cope mentally with a Disability, and fully support them.

We do employ some Disabled people in our businesses, and listen to their specific needs and requests, and act on them.
Once in our employment, their skills are valued, and they will stay with us for years.
We do provide help in sorting out allowances, benefits and specific needs to aid them.

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Some Obese People may now be classified as Disabled

It makes me wonder if the Local Authority Fat Cats will claim disability now the Government is forcing them to diet?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

To me it seems a bit like an insult to the 'genuinely disabled'.
Not having done the research I don't know but there may well be instances where severe overweight is a direct result of some other illness and not simply over-eating or poor diet.
However, that aside, qualifying for disability registration for not looking after one's self is in my opinion wrong.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Another decision by Europeans lacking common sense. Or is there a different thought process here.
More ammunition for those who argue for leaving the EU
I think this isn't a suitable subject for legislation  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 104

i've started piling on the pounds already.. need a new chair in the office Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Our daughter was morbidly obese. She tried all the diets, slimming clubs, medically supervised diets without any real success. Her obesity had a physiological cause rather than any lack of will power. She used to get plenty of exercise, but even so her long term health was at risk. Her local GP twice put her forward for surgical intervention but the local PCT just didn't have the funds. A case of post code lottery, if she'd lived a mile down the road she'd been given the operation without a delay. Ironically she works for the NHS and there was no special treatment for their own employee.
We eventually dipped into our retirement savings to fully fund private medical bariatric surgery which removed most of her stomach and left something slightly smaller than the size of a tennis ball. Her weight is, after three years, down to 60 Kg from circa 150. She'll be affected for the rest of her life. She cannot eat many types of food, she cannot take some medicines, she doesn't have space for a cup of tea and a meal at the same time and now can only stomach portion sizes you'd give to a five year old.
Obesity is no joke for those who suffer it, and surgery is not necessarily an easy option.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: PlusComUK
I'm all for giving Disabled people every help they can get, I do appreciate their daily struggles, and having to also cope mentally with a Disability, and fully support them.

Well given the recent legal implications it appears you don't if you have a problem with someone over eating.
Quote from: Strat
Not having done the research I don't know but there may well be instances where severe overweight is a direct result of some other illness and not simply over-eating or poor diet.
However, that aside, qualifying for disability registration for not looking after one's self is in my opinion wrong.

So whats with the negativity there then? - Seems a bit wrong don't you think?
Quote from: AlaricAdair
Our daughter was morbidly obese. She tried all the diets, slimming clubs, medically supervised diets without any real success. Her obesity had a physiological cause rather than any lack of will power.

Obesity is no joke for those who suffer it, and surgery is not necessarily an easy option.

I think AlaricAdair says it all really.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: 7up
Quote from: Strat

So whats with the negativity there then? - Seems a bit wrong don't you think?

Not a bit wrong at all IMO.
It's an establishled fact, although the manufactures might deny it, that most soft drinks, including 7up, are loaded with excessive amounts of sugar, which is a proven direct cause of obesity and other health problems such as rotten teeth.
More often than not, if you actually see a severely obese person pushing a trolley round a supermarket or at the checkout, it's hard not to notice the amount of 2L bottles of soft drinks (aside from the other junk) they're buying.
If you're not obese yourself (or heading that way) then you must be either lucky or doing something right, such as not drinking excessive amounts of your namesake 7up.  Wink
If someone is obese through no fault of their own (the minority I suspect) then fair enough, but if you're obese through your own poor lifestyle choices then the saying "You've made your bed now lie in it." springs to mind.
itsme
Grafter

There is also a large percentage of overweight people that do not believe in the Body Mass Index and carry on as normal and end up obese. Lot easier to tackle being overweight than obese.
Unfortunately some forums member here have questioned the BMI in the past as it does have limitations but the people that are placed in the Overweight/Obese because of the sports they do are not the ones that deride the BMI
shylok
Rising Star

Its worth noting that some ill ppl who require medications put on a lot of weight as a result of the side effects or even thru mental illnesses like severe depression, becoming obese is not just down to ppl sitting around being inactive or lazy out of choice while consuming too much junk food
nanotm
Pro

indeed obese people were classed as disabled in the past but under changes that were enacted during changes to the welfare system agreed to by all parties back in 2010 and effective since 2012 junkies alkies and fatties  were no longer eligible for disability benefits unless they had some other underlying problem.
personally weight is a problem for me because of my disabilities rather than my disability being caused through excessive consumption.
since I'm relatively inactive through disability any weight gain I have is purely a coincidental effect.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

When I was at school I do not recall any pupil, teachers or any other adults that were grossly overweight.
We often ate fish and chips, lots of potatoes, meat and 3 teaspoonfully of sugar in our tea. Plenty of fizzy drinks like tizer, etc
So the question has to be why ? What is the difference between then and now ?
To help answer that question there  is a simple formula, if the amount of calories you take in exceeds the amount you use then you will put on weight.
The only exceptions to that rule is if your kidneys are unable to maintain a correct fluid balance in your body or you have cardiac problems or other problems but any such problems should easily be diagnosed by a consultant and where possible treated accordingly.
Gastric bands are no answer

myredhotcar
Grafter

Leslie Bowles. Pathe, 1935:

>