cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some BT incompetence (for a change .......)

picbits
Community Veteran

Some BT incompetence (for a change .......)

My wife starts working from home on Wednesday - her work are closing their offices here and she is one of the lucky ones they are keeping on - it means we lose a bedroom to her office though.

Her work had organised a new phone line and BT Business Broadband ADSL (begrudgingly - and they wouldn't stretch to FTTC) - I'd noticed the PN T&C's said we shouldn't use our connection for business use and as her role is in contract and legal management thought we'd better point this out to her work.

Anyway a couple of weeks ago, the engineer turned up - early, went away so wife could discuss with me routing of new line then came back. Installed the new NTE5 socket, made a bit of a mess in our brickwork which he kindly filled with half a ton of clear silicon then told her another engineer would connect the line (he used one of the 5 pairs going to my house) later on.

We waited - nothing.

We plugged in a landline - nothing

An hour to BT Business on chat - she got cut off.

Another half an hour to BT Business and she was told an engineer would be sent out on the 26th to connect it up.

Tested yesterday (27th) - nothing still.

BT Business helpline closed at the weekend.

So she is set to go live in her new office (that I've just spent a week decorating and assembling furniture) with no broadband.

The other issue I can see is that ADSL round here is abysmal - we're about as far from the exchange as you can get. Until that line is connected, who knows if the speed will be good enough for her to teleconference and work from home. I can almost see the FTTC cabinet from her room but no, her work were being bloody minded and insisted she had ADSL.

*Edit - and on noticing the NTE box was loose, I investigated further and the nice engineer had screwed the box straight on to the plasterboard without any wall plugs .......

Hey ho - it isn't just PN who have issues.

3 REPLIES 3
nozzer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Some BT incompetence (for a change .......)

@picbits

"I'd noticed the PN T&C's said we shouldn't use our connection for business use"

The T&Cs warn against using residential lines for business use, but couldn't you have upgraded your existing line/service to a Business one with PN and got the employer to pick up the tab? That way you could have kept all your existing services (inc fibre, if that's what you use on PN).

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 74

The other point to note @picbits, is that if you wifes' firm is picking up the costs of installing and using the line, it has no impact on your service via PN - the two are totally separate installations.

John
picbits
Community Veteran

Indeed - I just thought I'd point out that BT (who also have to service PN) are as incompetent in their own house as they are sorting out other companies installations.

On another note, a BT engineer randomly turned up at around midday today to finish the installation - spooky eh ! It didn't help that I'd just glossed the radiator, window cill and door / frame when he turned up and I had to take up all the dust sheets to get out of the room to answer the door to him ...... the door was only half glossed as well so really inconvenient (the master socket was by the newly painted skirting / radiator and a pig to get to.

Hey ho - the wife now has blisteringly fast (6Mb down / 1Mb up) broadband for her work now Smiley - one less thing to worry about.