cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solicitors Fees & Charges

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Solicitors Fees & Charges

We all know that going to a solicitor is going to cost money....  Cry  however, I wonder if they charge different rates depending on their location, viz-a-viz the local economy...
e.g.,  do solicitors in an "affluent" area tend to charge more for the same kind of "service" than those close to a "local authority housing scheme" ?  does the availability of several "firms" in the same town make for competition or, again, do they charge what they think, knowing that you are unlikely to question their charges?
11 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Solicitors Fees & Charges

with all your moves around the country I would think you could tell us
Community Veteran

I shall treat that comment with the contempt it deserves Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I had to see one a while back about a legal issue. Just for a consultation I had two different prices - in town £80 out in te country £150.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter
however, I wonder if they charge different rates depending on their location, viz-a-viz the local economy...

Think they do, I've (last year) had a rental agreement reviewed (both parties the lessor and the leasee needed a separate review). I went to a small town local guy who charged me £75, the other party went to a large Sheffield firm and were charged around £500. The page of comments they both came back with were virtually identical.
When we were 'signing' the lease, naturally we talked, neither of us dreamed of questioning the legal fees!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I used a City of London based lawyer when I was made redundant from an financial institution (at their insistence, as they were picking up the bill). A snip at a mere £400
per hour!!!

Was it worth it? No, because employers were being straightforward and not trying to cheat.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

and the type of work. Employment solicitors will charge more than conveyance.
Community Veteran

When you ask a solicitor to work for you he will send you a list of his hourly rates.  Locally here in Essex it seems £100-125 per hour is the norm with lower rates for the less qualified members of the team.
The largest firm of solicitors in Cambridge charge £250 per hour for a partner in the firm going down to £85 for secretarial support.
Bills soon build up at these rates Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you think about it the amount they charge will be based on a number of factors, for example a solicitor in London will have higher overheads and possibly more clients so will charge more than a solicitor out in the sticks.
The charge is possibly based on a fixed fee plus further charges for any additional amount of work over and above that included within the fixed fee.
Community Veteran

I wondered if there was a "menu" of fixed fees.... similar to dentistry..... where your initial consultation is £xx  then to have one extraction is £YY, and a visit to the hygienist is £ZZ....  or  an oil change incl parts was £MM,000.00p (  Roll eyes ) etc etc
Does anyone know of this?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'm sure the fees are fixed ! Smiley
Community Veteran

Each solicitor will have a fixed fee which he is obliged to give you prior to commencing any work.  The problem is that if he is charging an hourly rate it may not be possible to give a total cost without knowing the amount of time required.  Some jobs can be quoted exactly, conveyancing for example where they know the amount of work involved.