cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar Power (electric)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Solar Power (electric)

Can anyone think of an example where pure Solar electricity would be an ideal solution (i.e no batteries, no mains).
Nephews homework:-
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Solar Power (electric)

Presumably, you are referring "Solar" power, as power directly generated by the light of the sun... as opposed to "general daylight" ? or is that the same thing ?
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
or is that the same thing ?

Solar electricity generated by either daylight or sunlight.
Only example I can come up with is Aeration of fish-farm ponds.
itsme
Grafter

Aeration of ponds is done naturally by plants and sunlight the problem is aeration when it's dark.
Solar power is very useful when going to 3rd world countries as I found out when I was in the Himalayas.
Community Veteran

Desalination, condensation or purification of water in desert conditions.
There was an article somewhere of a company who built large stations around the desert in areas where there was no water which extracted moisture from the air with solar powered devices and made it into drinking water.
You could also use it for air conditioning - the hotter the sun, the hotter the environment and the more energy available to cool the workspace back down. No sun, not as much need for the cooling.
Community Veteran

Powering the "energiser" for an electric fence controlling stock in a farmer's field. Already in frequent usage.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Solar Power to generate electricity to split hydrogen and oxygen from water. The hydrogen can then be stored and used as a fuel.
Energy from renewable sources, including solar, can be used to generate electricity which is used to pump water up hill  that can later be released to drive turbines to generate electricity when there is increased demand &/or less power from other sources available..
....or would these energy storage systems not count as "pure"?
@AlaricAdair  Unless the electric fence has battery storage or mains back-up what stop the stock going walkabout at night or on very overcast days?
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
Unless the electric fence has battery storage or mains back-up what stop the stock going walkabout at night or on very overcast days?

They will all be asleep ? Wink
I'll get my coat Tongue
Community Veteran

@alanf, yes, two good examples.
nanotm
Pro

park power supplies, people don't tend to use them when its not nice weather so no need to bother powering them all the time Smiley
I'm referring to the public charging point systems so people can recharge a device that might be getting low
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf

@AlaricAdair  Unless the electric fence has battery storage or mains back-up what stop the stock going walkabout at night or on very overcast days?

They normally have battery backup for fence energisers. The solar power is used to extend battery life.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.