cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar Panel Subsidy

Community Veteran

Solar Panel Subsidy

Anyone thinking of installing solar panels may be in for some bad news.  A leaked report states that the subsidy is being reduced and an announcement is expected next week.
Solar Panels
23 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Solar Panel Subsidy

The trouble I have with these reports if they get one key fact wrong do I trust the rest of the report?
Over 25 years this can mean a tidy profit as long as they stay in their homes over the break-even point.

You will still benefit from the feed in tariffs even if you sell the house.
Community Veteran

Do you have solar panels?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

People around me with electric solar panels feel conned, as the cost of the electricity they save as a result of their panels will only just about cover the installation costs - assuming the panels last the full quoted lifetime and nothing goes wrong.  In addition the profit they were hoping to make from the feed in tariff varies between nothing and a maximum of about a third of the KWh that was quoted as 'typical' by the salesman and site survey people.
I understand that hot water solar panels (for hot water and heating) are much more successful, but obviously don't give the opportunity to sell on any excess energy generated.   Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Frankly I've always felt it a bit unfair anyway. Those who can afford their own homes get subsidised solar panels by those of us who can't - who are paying for the panels through our energy bills.
Hardly seems fair from my POV. IF you can afford your own home these days (and those numbers are dwindling) it seems a bit unfair to expect those of us struggling to pay rent to subsidise you - we're getting nothing for it and those who can afford get it a house with subsidised additions to push the value up even more.
In some places and times that would almost be classed as slavery.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Solar water heating can be an even bigger con.  I was certainly conned by a firm that has twice been done by trading standards and is still operating, they have been fined over £20 000
see here for some accurate facts http://support.cat.org.uk/getting-the-most-from-solar-water-heating when you have read that page, click the link at the bottom, read more, it down loads 8 pages of graphs and how it works
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I understand that hot water solar panels (for hot water and heating) are much more successful, but obviously don't give the opportunity to sell on any excess energy generated

you dont get any heat from the panels when you want hot radiators
pierre_pierre
Grafter

two cuts from the above reports PDF
my roof ridge is north/south so from the first I can only expect about 40%
since instalation I hve done away with my bath and only have a shower,
got a new washing machine, you cant get hot fill now
got a dish washer, again you cant get hot fill
So in the hot summer Crazy  get loads of hot water and no where to use it, in the winter nothing
Electric PVA panels work all year, but some firms will not fit them on North/south ridge
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Now that a lot of homes have double glazing, the sales men have found another source of sales namely solar panels and solar heating. There's no doubt the technology works, but the sales guys and their managers will habitually manipulate the performance figures to increase their commission.
Do not believe a word they say unless you can verify it elsewhere and it is written clearly in the contract.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

It will be interesting to see how the companies selling panels react to this if the reduction is announced.  it will have a dramatic effect on their business.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Here is a very "simple" DIY guide to making your own hot water solar heating panels....
http://www.mysolarshop.co.uk/-i-10.html
Using stuff you can get from B&Q... and your own DIY skills, .... Wink
Community Veteran

Why in these DIY solar panel projects do they always use loads of very expensive copper pipe to build a heat collector ?
Would it not be more efficient and cheaper to buy a decent sized second hand (eBay < £5) single panel radiator and paint it black ?
To aid convection, the radiator will need to be mounted upside down so the heated water rises to the exit pipe, and the cooler incoming water will fall to the bottom of the panel.
Then you have the whole panel area collecting heat - so should be more efficient.
A radiator will be much less prone to air locks than loops of pipe, and venting only needs to be provided in one place in the design.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Instead of using copper piping, you could use ordinary plastic garden hose, and paint it black.. after you have fitted it into the box,....
..   no joins, no leaks... and you lay it out just the same way... Smiley
Community Veteran

I have used a tightly packed spiral of 120ft black and dark green garden hose on the garden patio, as a heater for the kids pop-up swimming pool (8ft diameter by 30" deep) simply by connecting it in series with the pumped pool filter.
It was much cheaper than using the proper 3kW pool heater, but did have the disadvantage of at night of either disconnecting the hose, or switching off the filter pump, so as not to cool the pool when the sun wasn't shining.  Unfortunately the pool is only fitted with one pair of external hose connectors (for external filtering and heating) , otherwise it would have been easier if there was the possibility for a second external loop that could be dedicated to heating, and leave the first loop for filtering.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

My panels have glass tubes

see here for other questions
http://info.cat.org.uk/questions/solar-water-heating
Questions and answers on solar-water-heating
How can I find a solar water heating installer?
How can I heat my home with renewable energy?
How does solar water heating work?
How many solar water heating panels will I need?
How much hot water can solar water heating produce?
How much will a domestic solar water heating system cost?
Is my home suitable for solar water heating?
Is there financial support for solar water heating?
What is the difference between photovoltaics and solar water heating?