cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software query.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Software query.

Say you purchase some software which is only available via a download but when you come to unlock it via the code sent to you by email but all you get is, an error occured or the software stays in trial mode, where do you go from there assuming you have contacted them and a new unlock code has been sent but with the same result, further contact with the company gets you the response,"It must be something on your computer sir."
I understand changes have or are being made regarding problems users have with downloaded software but if this is an American company what is the position. ?
Can it be persued  further and if so is it worth doing ?
Any have experience of this or ever been in this position ?
4 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Software query.

Quote from: gleneagles
I understand changes have or are being made regarding problems users have with downloaded software but if this is an American company what is the position. ?

Consumer Rights Act 2015 came into effect from 01 October but only applies to retailers within the EU.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange
Assuming that you used a card to make the purchase perhaps you could apply for charge back.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@alanf,
Thanks, that's a good and helpful link.
Makes more sense to use a credit card but I think the item has to be over £100 if you want to claim a refund but I could be wrong about that.
Software might also be a dodgy issue, for example if the company claimed no one else had a problem so it must be down to your own computer.
Anyway gives me something to go on.
Smiley Smiley
nanotm
Pro

it might help to know what software your referring to and what os your installing it on, ive had problems in the past with buying software from a usa based website and had to contact there online chat team for help, turned out I had incorrectly been given a code for my region yet sent a link to the us region package, they gave me the correct version of the software and that fixed the problem (that was with cyberlink software)
perhaps your issue is similar
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: gleneagles
Makes more sense to use a credit card but I think the item has to be over £100 if you want to claim a refund but I could be wrong about that.

Charge Back covers debit cards and purchases with credit cards not covered by Section 75.
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/jan/20/section-75-chargeback