cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Dumbing Down

Community Veteran

Software Dumbing Down

A while back we talked about how some web pages were being dumbed down to suit mobiles and tablets. The problem being that often on a PC this resulted in web pages full of empty white space.
It's a shame that some software is also following this misguided trend.
The latest being the popular CCleaner, "new and improved" as they say.
Understandable it's getting a lot of negative comments on its own forums.
I don't understand some of the logic behind these actions as even Microsoft has seen the error of their ways and are moving on from the flat dull empty look.
They have realised (after being forced by their customers) that what suits a tablet doesn't necessarily suit a PC's screen.
"Each to their Own" would be a suitable motto for web and software developers to stick on their desks.

2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Software Dumbing Down

Another is Skype. I noticed that when I started using a tablet a short while ago Skype was considerably "lite". A recent update has changed all of it to much white space.
It still works as before, actually the message area is somewhat clearer in my opinion, haven't tried the video side yet.
Did Skype briefly run two versions side by side or did Samsung (the tablet) alter it..
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Re: Software Dumbing Down

I can see it makes a sort of commercial (non)sense having matching UI's but you can't fit a 21 inch pot into a 4 inch one and vice versa.