Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Social media'

jab1
All Star
Fixes: 6

'Social media'

A comment on another forum I visit has made me think.

A number of previously regular posters on that forum seem to have 'vaporised' recently and my initial thought was that they had been disciplined for their generally anti-social behaviour.

However, this comment was 'they now keep in touch by social media'. That in itself is their choice, but as they obviously will ignore anyone who may disagree with them or have 'closed groups' are they not shooting themselves in the foot if the only people they 'talk' to are 'yes-men'?

I have long thought that these 'social' channels are actually the opposite - they restrict your chance to listen to a different opinion.

Any agreement/disagreement?

John
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: 'Social media'

Agree Thumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

I'm with both of you on this one. It is a bit like talking to yourself in an other wise empty room!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I like roast potatoes... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Much depends on the individual, most of us have fixed views on various topics and the views of others can either reinforce your current held view on that topic or it might challenge it.

How people deal with views or opinions that do challenge their own views are interesting, often people ignore it and join others who hold similar views to their own as mentioned in the op, others get annoyed either because they 'know' they are right or the other person is 'clearly wrong' which can lead to heated exchanges evidence of which can be seen in old posts on this forum.

Time and science have shown some of our basic beliefs to be wrong, perhaps most views have some element of truth but often those with fixed views cannot hear them.

wisty
Pro

The Filter Bubble - Eli Pariser - Viking Books.

Published 2011, but still a valid read.

Jonpe
All Star
Fixes: 3

University campuses have now become what they call safe spaces to the point where they bar controversial speakers, and students are no longer having their own views challenged or able to challenge people who hold divergent views.  As has been said:  Universities used to teach students how to think, now they teach them what to think.

jab1
All Star

@gleneagles Although I can understand what you are saying, and I mostly agree, that doesn't, IMO, answer the basic point of my post, which is that 'social media' is an oxymoron, because it actually reduces social interaction.

@wisty If I can find a copy, and have some spare time, I'll give it a read.

John
jab1
All Star

@Jonpe And should, again in my opinion, be closed. Suppression of individual thought is dangerous and leads to the totalitarian State.

John
jab1
All Star

twocvbloke wrote:

I like roast potatoes... Smiley

So do I, so long as the middle isn't burnt to a crisp.Grin

John
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

jab1 wrote:

Suppression of individual thought is dangerous and leads to the totalitarian State.

Fair enough..but what happened to freedom of speech? or in fact the freedom of individual thought? Although I do not use these 'social media' sites I can see both sides to them. I'm with @jab1 on this one regards to suppression.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
jab1
All Star

@Pete11 When referred to freedom of thought, I should have probably have said 'thought and speech' - to me the two are inseparable.

I too can see uses for social media sites, but to duck out of public forums because you can't bear to be contradicted or challenged is to my way of thinking, cowardly. That was what I was trying to suggest in my original post.

John
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@jab1

I fully understand, but thinking something and saying something is, in it's own way, different. How many in the past have been repressed for saying what they think only to have their heads chopped off? When all they had to do was keep those thoughts in their head and live a bit longer. Social media is no different from that really, keep thoughts in head and all is well but putting it in written form and Crucifixion is on the cards.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.