Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social distancing.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Social distancing.

@gleneagles 

BS seemed to be the most common at one time with whitworth being the thicker thread.

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Minivanman 

With all the censorship we face on the forum these days I was surprised the term ‘BS’ in your post did not get censored.

😉

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

@gleneagles wrote:

AF, metric, whitworth,....are there other sizes available ?

Yes,... there are two other sizes availble....

too big... or.... too small.. Cheesy

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I just cannot help feeling that the advice on social distancing which is often ignored either by design, circumstance or sheer bloody mindedness along with lockdowns and all else, is just holding back the inevitable in order to give hospitals some breathing space - no pun intended.

Still no vaccine, still no cure and still no real understanding of both the short and long term symptoms and effects and like flu, as sure as eggs it's going to mutate on a regular basis. 

Herd immunity is a key concept for epidemic control but it's an unspoken truth and words nobody in government dare speak and those that do dare get shot down in flames.

In the meantime I'm going along with the advice being given as best I can, but I also have my fingers crossed as an added precuation. Every little helps as they say.... even if it doesn't.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

Yeah..... we had our flu jabs this morning.... first time we have encountered anyone in public since March this year  ! ! !... was a bit weird, to say the least ! ! .

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

We booked for ours a few weeks back and were given an appointment for the beginning of November which was the earliest we could get, but even that is like a [-Censored-] in a dartboard hoping to hit whatever strain of flu virus that's going around. 

Worth having of course so why not but it's a real cattle market and like sheep waiting to be dipped. Just as well they don't dab us on the head with blue paint afterwards!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Reminds me @shutter 

Got a text today reminding me I need to have my hair cut on Monday, so I will see what happens on Monday as the government will be announcing new measures apparaently. Whether it will be closed I don't know. I will try and ring them before I bother with the 45 minute walk there as it is not far from my sisters.

So yes I do meet people in public, but I try to keep it to a minimum now.

I know of friends who have shavers and do a DIY job, but I won't try that with my lack of skill there! 😐

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

We booked for ours a few weeks back and were given an appointment for the beginning of November which was the earliest we could get, but even that is like a [-Censored-] in a dartboard hoping to hit whatever strain of flu virus that's going around. 

Worth having of course so why not but it's a real cattle market and like sheep waiting to be dipped. Just as well they don't dab us on the head with blue paint afterwards!

Bit of a long wait.

They set up a vaccination centre near us, very efficient, got the jab less than a week after booking it, appointment system but  no queues unlike the past at the Health Center....we were in and out in less than 5 minutes...hope they keep this system in the future.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Alex wrote:

Reminds me @shutter 

Got a text today reminding me I need to have my hair cut on Monday, so I will see what happens on Monday as the government will be announcing new measures apparaently. Whether it will be closed I don't know. I will try and ring them before I bother with the 45 minute walk there as it is not far from my sisters.

So yes I do meet people in public, but I try to keep it to a minimum now.

I know of friends who have shavers and do a DIY job, but I won't try that with my lack of skill there! 😐

Get one of your mates to cut your hair on the understanding you cut his hair afterwards so hopefully he or she will do a good job....

Even if they make a mess of it few will notice, just look at some of the hair styles some men have....and no doubt pay good money to have it done....That Peaky Blinders style is a good example....bet you could do that yourself ...number1 straight up the sides and leave the middle as it is..

😉

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Scientists have been saying that COVID-19 is a slow-mutating virus, which is just as well really or we'd be in even more trouble.  Herd immunity would cost fewer lives if more young people got the virus since they generally get milder symptoms and recover.  One of the things I'm not clear about is whether they are also susceptible to the subsequent liver, heart, and kidney problems reported in 'more mature' survivors.

The ideal solution would seem to be an effective vaccine but that will take a little more time.

When the final numbers are crunched, we may find that the approach taken by most countries will, in terms of death toll, be similar to those in Sweden where the building up of herd immunity seems to have been the strategy all along.  The difference might be in the age of those infected.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Alex 

Skill, what skill?

Been buzz cutting the old barnet once a month for years. 

Easy-peasy lemon squeezy cheap as chips.  

@gleneagles 

More than a bit of a long wait, and rather shocked when we were told made worse by the fact the the medical center said not to phone for bookings until the end of September when we phoned to check in August. The Mrs said that was utter nonsence and phoned the second week.... and was told she should have phoned earlier as now there would be a long wait!

Just as well she was on her mobile as had it been the house phone she'd have slammed it down.

No wonder those Covid tests are a shambles in places. We are both pensioners and it's not as if it's un-important that we have those flu jabs. I've been having them free for a few years but this would be the first free one for the Mrs as up until now she has had to pay £10 for one at the chemist. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Going for my diabetes check up next week (already well overdue and got cancelled a couple of weeks ago) but given the latest SMS text about chemicals for blood test getting low, who knows, it might get shoved back again. But I have been going to the surgery about once a month to pick up the prescriptions and the place is like a zombie zone. No real need for social distancing (its all marked out anyway) as there are very few people actually going in to be seen. But seems if one has an appointment for something and one hasn't had and qualifies for a free flu jab, they do it all in the one session.

But certainly agree with @Minivanman about cutting one's hair. Just a case of putting on a No. 2 (in my case) on the cutter and just run it all over. Job done. Usually the wife does it but I have done it myself. Doddle of a job.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Bit nervous to try and cut my hair, as I know it would be a disaster if I tried!

Good luck with your diabetes check, as I will be around my sisters area I might get some more Epilepsy tablets while I am there. I have a fair few left (around 55, but at two a day that leaves me with around 27 days left, which isn't that long really). It takes my chemist a few days to order them in as I only have to ask for them. They just look me up on my computer and will say come back in a few days. Quite important I don't make a mistake there as seizures are not plesant (trust me you don't want to know).

Then I have to post a USB memory stick which I've sold and will need to go to the Post Office to check the size and weight. Oh well, about as exciting my life gets. Hair cut, order prescription drugs and go to the PO to post something. I can't wait 🙄

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

It was reported today that a 25-year-old had got COVID-19 for a second time.  Unsurprisingly, considering the damage already done to his lungs, it was much worse the second time.  Are we looking at having to be vaccinated annually, or perhaps even more frequently?  If so, time to buy shares in the pharmaceutical companies.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yep not a bad idea @Jonpe 

Again I had to go out yesterday, this was a classic. Got a small parcel I had never ordered delivered to me. I hardly ever order anything on-line as I prefer going to the shops for supplies if I can. 

The door number was correct, road had the same road name as mine, not quite. My road has the suffix "road" where this one had "avenue". The postcode is different to mine but the same sorting office (I know where it is). Hence the two letter prefix was correct.

I knew approximately where the correct place is, it is not a five minute walk away from me (put it that way) I'm a bit old for that now. If I had run the London Marathon yesterday then maybe I would have given it a go. Walking to my sisters is bad enough, had it been round the corner, then fine. I would have walked there myself. However this location must be a good 15 miles from here.

Correct (their address), so I honestly was cynical and laughed to myself and "This isn't going to work?". I put their address into the BT phone directory on-line. Landline number was listed. It worked.

Very nice people and whacked it back to the post office. I did what I thought was right.

Sorry, back on topic (a first for me). Yes I am curious as to whether I have already had it and made other people ill. I believe they are working on a test as to whether you had, they then test whether you body has the antiboides. If yes, you've had it, if not you haven't.

I believe a vaccine works by injecting yourself with 'dead'? cells so it doesn't make you ill. Though your immune system beats into thinking it is the real thing so you don't get into trouble later on.

EDIT: Woot - within the clandestine 15 minute rule in these forums. Anyone with more medical experience than me (i.e. more than zero, can correct me). I am more IT than medicine. 😀