Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social distancing.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Social distancing.

It's not uncommon to test for antibodies to establish whether someone has been exposed to a microorganism.  When HIV appeared, the first test available was for antibodies; testing for the virus itself came later and was much more time-consuming and expensive.  The problem with antibody tests is that antibodies can usually not be detected until some time after infection.  If you should be unfortunate enough to get pricked by a used needle, you'll get tested straight away and be told that you require retesting in a number of weeks (two I think) in order to establish whether you've had contact with HIV, hepatitis etc.

As I understand it @Alex it is possible (at least for relatively young people) to have COVID-19 that is almost asymptomatic.  Some months ago there was an emergency medicine doctor on TV who'd tested positive for antibodies but the only symptom of infection she'd had was a blocked nose for a few days (not that unusual in the spring).

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Doctors today but the blood test has been put off for another 2 weeks.... shortages.Still I'll get my flu jab.

But things are ramping up at work. Everyone has got to wear face coverings - presumably worried if the place goes in to shutdown mode. And the local school has its first case. Fortunately they have split most of the school from interacting with others from another year, so damage limitation time. Although the school bus run has been highlighted where social distancing gets thrown out. Just hope they all wear masks (some hope!). Maybe they should be wearing full bio suits! Just one class sent home....at the moment. Getting closer!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yep thanks.

I am looking at the symptoms. I don't think I have it, but may have caught a bit of a cold.

That is all you can do really, on the one hand you don't like making false assumptions but on the other you don't want to dismiss a problem you suspect is minor when it isn't. Just keep an open mind and at all that.

I'll see if I have to go over to my sisters, and have started walking a bit now to save on bus fares. Not only does it save a bit of money, I suppose it is a better idea not to be as close to people and be in the fresh air.

Yep I went over to the chemist and said, when do I need to order more tablets (for my seizures). I said I just wanted to check if I needed to give your more notice than I usually would as I can understand you're busy and it may take them longer. They said "No just let us know when you're down to your last 10". Very nice people there, I just wanted to be sure really.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Given that I've had a bad chest for yonks, sniffles and a regular cough, I would be hard put to know if I had Covid so the only criteria I use (and going from reports) are if I have a higher than normal temperature and/or loss of taste and smell. 

Lots of paranoia, and lots shouting wolf?

M'be.

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yep that's true @Minivanman 

You get paranoid and think well if I try to see if I have it, am I overreacting or on the other hand (as the old saying says) is it better to proactive or reactive? If I had a temperature then I might try and get tested (yeah right, if I could get an appointment within my life expentancy!), just keeping a close eye on myself for the moment.

A friend on Facebook has just said her husband has tested positive so of course she is worried and has children.

All very well the PC Brigade saying "Stay at home, don't go out and mix with anyone". When you have family and children to look after it is not always as simple as that.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Not sure @Alex what staying safe at home has got to do with the PC brigade, but I take your point. Also understandable that those with long term conditions do tend to be more proactive, and not meaning to be derogorty towards those that do have genuine worries by suggesting paranoia.

Sometimes the feeling is that health care is like being offered a lollipop only to have it snatched away when you reach for it.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

My point is it is not always possible, that why I mentioned them (people who have no aspect of reality basically).

All we can try and do is minimise contact with other people where we can, but they make the false misguided assumption it is 100% possible. Does the virus differentiate between a family member or a friend?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

If you are positive or think you have the virus you will be told to self isolate and likely asked the names of those you have been in contact with.

If the symptoms get worse and in particular your breathing they may admit you to hospital, with beds rapidly filling with corvid patients they need to be selective and only admit those with the worse symptoms.

I hope it never gets to the stage where a decision to treat or not is based on the chances of survival, if beds and staff become limited could this happen.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Talking to one of my daughters just know and she was telling me that one of the members of staff in her school said she did not know was wrong with her this morning but she "could not taste her toothpaste".

You can imagine my daughters reaction and yep, the staff member tested positive.

How stupid can 'educated' people be, and what planet have they been living on for the last six months?

Highlighted
Hero

Fairly recently (last two weeks) the scientists claimed that the loss of, or change in, one's sense of taste and/or smell were more reliable indicators of COVID-19 infection than the ones previously used.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yep thanks,

I agree, not had anything but a bit of sniffels.

However knowing my body if I either eat some fruit or veg and thought "I enjoyed that", or worst case a McDonalds and thought "That tasted nice", then in that case there would be something definitely wrong with my taste 😐

Highlighted
Hero

For about two days now I've had what seems like a slight cold (blocked/runny nose) which means wearing a mask is ineffective against viruses.  If there is a choice, I tend to leave more room behind me than in front of me on buses since the air I breathe in mostly comes from the back (around my ears where the mask doesn't fit as tightly as elsewhere).

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

I’ve found the combination of cold air, hot breath, runny nose, mask and spectacles is not a good mix.

Just pleased I’m not obliged to drive in a mask....

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

@Champnet wrote:

Just pleased I’m not obliged to drive in a mask....

Don't give 'em ideas...  🤔

Ω is where the is
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

At least other motorists would not be able to lip read if you called them a 'wankle engine' 😉