cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Networking

N/A

Social Networking

Just been listening to this - a Radio 4 programme about social networking.
Thought that it might be of interest to those who do and those who don't use such sites.
As for me, I'm a bit of a dinosaur - don't do Twitter, Facebook or anything else.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Social Networking

I don't tweet or use FB either but it frequently makes me wonder what all the fuss is about when social networking has existed for many years anyway.
What on earth is Yahoo? - The webs first social network pretty much. Ok they've let themselves slip a lot over the years but I can't understand what FB is doing to make it so great. You go to their main website and it doesn't even give you a tour of the service. Instead you're just greeted with a blue screen claiming they connect everyone and thats it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 104

Quote from: okrzynska
IWhat on earth is Yahoo?

Awful, always has been Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 125

I prefer Yahoo than Facebook. Last time I used Yahoo, though, was a year or two ago. Usually only to chat with SWMBO when she's in Ukraine with her family. We now both have Skype accounts so will probably use that next time.
I'd still rather pick up the phone to chat with friends/family - can't see what all the fuss is about MySpace/Facebook and, especially, Twitter.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

thanks, poppy.  first episode was interesting.
i'm looking into diaspora, the open source version that claims better security and privacy.  i weakened and got twitter, but generally use it to follow other folk to broaden my horizons.  facebook holds no appeal.
johpal
Grafter

Having tried Friends Reunited some years ago and being disappointed, I give Facebook and Twitter, etc. a wide berth. Colleagues at work have been known to fall out over each others' Facebook contents and a family member came close to divorce when her husband discovered the contents of her page! My teenage daughter has regular outbursts about what her friends say about each other.
Of course, like any social networking, you need to use your discretion, but with no "face-to-face" feedback, people often forget.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I made the mistake of Friend years ago, put my early 50's school on it. I only attended for two years, now getting pestered for a School Reunion replied once to say not interested, that didnt stop them, Now who do I remember from 60 rears ago?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Me I am on Friends Reunited and FaceBook, I have a love hate relationship with FaceBook, I love been able to contact family abroad, but I hate the privacy settings on facebook, I really want to dump FaceBook, but my family wants me to keep it.
As for Friends Reunited I mainly use it to keep in tuch with all who went to Saltergill  School, plus some who was at my last Group Home.
I just wish that thay would use my forum instead.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'm another who does not use face book, tweet or use friends reunited.
With all the horror stories in the press about the problems people who use these sites have it's amazing anyone (with any sense) uses them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Midnight
Me I am on Friends Reunited and FaceBook, I have a love hate relationship with FaceBook, I love been able to contact family abroad, but I hate the privacy settings on facebook, I really want to dump FaceBook, but my family wants me to keep it.

So whats wrong with email? - That works abroad Wink
Quote from: Midnight
I just wish that thay would use my forum instead.

Yes we've all noticed that around here when you keep plugging it here Wink Forums aren't great for social and family contact but are good for discussing group issues and the like. If you want more visitors to your forum try creating your own articles about something, not snippets of other peoples and then posting a link to your forums snippet on other forums. Create articles about your hobbies which will always attract others.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have a number of  articles that I did create.  Smiley
thisoldman
Grafter

sobs      and here was me thinking  social networking was some kind of a community patchwork quilt making endeavour. Wink
Fixes: 47

I have a Facebook account and pop in occasionally but I'm not a frequent visitor.
Most of it tends to be garbage like " Hi...I'm in the pub" with an embarrassing photo of the momentous occasion attached Roll eyes
The language used wouldn't get past our word censor intact or endear itself to members of the anti-txt club of which I'm a member.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

I've never understood this urge to broadcast to all in-sundry every details of their lives. Who actually cares? I have enough going on in my own life and don't have the inclination to share with anyone except for the few select friends I choose to.
I have a whopping 8 friends on FB and, apart from my daughter, they live far away. Even then, I prefer to pick up the phone and chat

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

we have at least one member of this forum who has his personal blog address on his sig line, again its a load of old twaddle, like I got up and had breakfast

edit
As a clue the Forum member  has two bits to his name R-----  D-------