cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Media

Fixes: 202

Social Media

The extreme abuse that people in public life receive has been discussed in Parliament today.

Have the creators of the likes of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, to name but three, created out of control monsters.

People have spoken about the measures these companies should take to filter out and remove such content.

Is this really possible considering the systems extend worldwide, run 24/7/365 and involve what must be a massive number of posts daily.

I suggest you could have 1/3 of the planet monitoring the other 2/3 and still not win the battle.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 65.0.1 (64-bit)

19 REPLIES
jab1
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Social Media

@Strat Your final line says it all, really.

Doesn't worry me, though. I have FB and Twitter accounts, the first just to keep in touch with friends/family in the generations that favour that form of (mis)-communication, and the latter because it is usually updated quicker than operators sites when I am traveling.

I never 'explore' either site.

John
VileReynard
All Star
Fixes: 14

Apparently I have one follower on my Twitter account. Smiley

Highlighted
jab1
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Definitely not me, @VileReynard Smiley

John
Fixes: 255

I can't see bullying whether playground, work or online being stamped out in any way, shape or form in the near future if at all.

There seems to be so many ways to interpret what actually constitutes bullying and, possibly, different cultures have different views.

Perhaps the way to combat it is not by stopping the bullying but educating people how to deal with it. This should be started in the home by parents/guardians but even this is fraught with problems due to many families either not knowing or caring about it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

As I have said before and I am about to say again my own view of Social Media is that it is poison and detrimental to society with recent revelations serving only to reinforce my opinion of this.

It strikes me that those that post reprehensible content on these platforms are posting simply because they are under the impression that they have some form of anonymity by virtue of having a username that does not identify them, the fact that it’s the ‘Internet’ and of course their right to Freedom of Speech.

But how many of these people would actually say what they type online to someone in real life. With the ‘anonymity’ that the Internet provides for all the perpetrator knows they could be directing their comments at one of their own family or friends.

How they intend to remove the content I do not know and I doubt it will ever be 100% successful. It is exactly as @Strat says, the world and their wives could be policing the content but the rate of flow is so great that I doubt they could ever keep up.

Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

@Mook I am neutral to Social Media, having only a FB account, which is anonymized by pseudonym. It's used mostly to log in to sites, and maybe comment, as one does here.

I am neutral on its nature, because, as with all things the human race uses, it is not its existence, which is the problem.

That is the intellectual, moral/ amoral ability to choose between good or bad use. Think how that applies to much more than social media.

In C1 AD this was said by Christ. It's one we should all be asking today of much in our lives

If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? 
or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

I suspect you are neutral because you have not been a victim of the vitriol that can arise.

Don’t get me wrong the whole concept is good and it certainly has its merits but this form of online abuse has been around for decades, as far back as the days of bulletin boards, so it’s not as if they weren’t aware for its potential to be abused but evidently chose to do nothing to prevent it.

Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

Yes, it's true, I've not been victim of vitriol on what is termed social media, yet my post would be the same. The fault lies with the vitriol spewer entirely. If one wants to close social contact on the net because risk of abuse. On a forum I have suffered mildly, and I'm sure others have suffered much worse. Would you want every bit of media shut, because of ill mannered idiots!

Demand the owners police their creations effectively, but ban the platforms; no. Banning or censoring generally is a feature of authoritarian legislation.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 8

@VileReynard wrote:

I have one follower on my Twitter account. Smiley

Is the username MI5 by any chance?

VileReynard
All Star

Probably - its someone I've never heard of - I only have Twitter so that I can access some of the thrilling live topics such as 'on the edge of my seat commentary of the latest Brexit foul-up etc'

Someone who doesn't appear to be MI5 has taken the @MI5 tweeting identity. Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

@VileReynard wrote:

He is probaby from MI6 !... and using a fake identity ! ... ( is that allowed  ? ? ? ? )

VileReynard
All Star

All of a sudden, I've got 17 people/institutions/spies/etc following me - even Plusnet are tracking my footsteps.

Is this how people get millions of followers - because I'm not uttering any tweets. Smiley

Amusingly, even @BorderIrish - who says:-

DVg56QoWsAAsL4pThere’s me at the Brexit negotiations.

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 8

@VileReynard wrote:

Ah, that's what they want you to think.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Apart from occasional entries on these forums (does that count as social media?), I find I can live my life quite well without Twitter, Flickr or Facebook etc. thank you.

To be fair, I did have briefly a Facebook account that I used for a sports club. But I deleted the account - yes it can be done -. Though that company doesn't make it very easy, and takes quite a long time. But I've heard nothing further from them since. Also in fairness my worldwide scattered family criticise me for closing the account. 

So if you don't want social media abuse, don't have the media accounts. 

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.